Rental Basics in Brooklyn>Question Details

Paprica, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

Landlord says I owe $75.00 from 2007 during a lease period that is over 2 years old. Do I have to pay???

Asked by Paprica, Brooklyn, NY Sun Jun 7, 2009

I have been renting for 5 years and my landlord raises the rent each year when the lease is renewed. He has refused to offer a 2 year lease. He is claiming that I owe $75.00 from a previous lease in 2007. They have tacked an the additional $75.00 to my rent on this current lease. Am I "legally" responsible for the payment? It is very difficult to track all of my payments to 2007. How can I rectify this?

Answers

1
This question is probably best answered by an attorney familiar with landlord-tenant law in NYC. But I would suggest gathering up all your copies of your current & previous leases along with all your receipts for any types of payments and any letter/ntoices the LL may have sent/given you regarding owed monies & what they are for. You can also try asking the LL to be nice and (if you have been a good tenant and paid on time, etc) dismiss the charge.