Rental Basics in 32819>Question Details

Britishfordh…, Renter in Orlando, FL

Just filed chapter 7 bankruptcy, earns 30K, husband earns 55K w/good credit. Should we rent in only his name?

Asked by Britishfordhill, Orlando, FL Mon Nov 5, 2012

I just recently filed chapter 7 bankruptcy, all debts are gone...but not discharged yet. I work with an income of $30K, husband has 630 credit score and makes over 60K annually. We want to rent a single family home or townhouse in upscale neighborhoods within Orlando. Will we be able to rent? Do we need to rent with only his name and not put me in the leasing process? Please help...need to start looking asap!

Answers

6
Has your bankruptcy been discharged? That will be the first question any of the applications will ask. If not, you'll run into trouble because without the discharge, it puts the new landlord at risk. If you have, I would just be upfront with the agent/landlord. It's a lot better for you to disclose this upfront and have the agent run your application knowing this and being prepared for it than not knowing and being blindsided.

Most places require that all occupants over the age of 18 need to complete and submit an application. Thus, just putting it in your husband's name won't work. The economic times have changed and landlords are definitely aware of this. I've had plenty of tenants get approved with blemish like a short sale or a bankruptcy on file but don't be surprised if the landlords ask for additional security deposit just to protect themselves.

If you shoot me an email with how many bedrooms you need, price max, desired move in date, and area that you are looking at, I can send you a list of available properties. Good luck =)

Linda Jokbengboon
Re/Max Town Centre
LindaSellsOrlando@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 5, 2012
If you're going to live in the property they'll run an application for you too so it won't matter in the long run. Honesty is always the best policy especially in these situations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 5, 2012
I had a buyer that wanted to buy a home in Arizona, but he had a Chapter 7 bankruptcy 7 months ago. After researching the web I found a loan program at http://www.cfsflex.com, they allow a mortgage after a foreclosure, short sale, or bankruptcy. There is only a six month waiting period. Good to see lending options coming back.
all adults going to live in the property will have to apply so it won't matter in the long run. Honesty is always the best policy especially in these situations.
This is not a big deal but like Danielle said HONESTY is the best policy with your income you should be able to find something and like David said you may have a larger deposit or more?
You will be on a lease done by a professional management company so just be upfront!

Please check the website out to see if anything fits what you are looking for. http://www.allcountysterling.com

Good Luck,
Jon

Jon Schaffer, Property Manager/Realtor
All County Sterling Property Management
Office: 407-674-5601 Ext. 5
Fax: 407-674-5631
E-mail: jschaffer@allcountysterling.com
http://www.allcountysterling.com

"The finest compliment I can receive is a referral"
You can put both names on if you wish. It won't matter. I am also a bankruptcy attorney and see these things every day. In today's market, so many people have credit problems. As long as one of you has a good income and good credit, you're fine. Even with a bankruptcy you could rent. Cash talks. You may need another month up front though if both of you filed. Start looking today. You'll find something in the nice areas.