Rental Basics in Phoenix>Question Details

Kharma, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

Is there any way I can get my money back from scam/con artists?

Asked by Kharma, Phoenix, AZ Wed Jan 2, 2013

I was already losing a lot of non-refundable application fees not being approved due to my eviction. To add insult to injury, I sent a lot of money to someone claiming to be the owner of a home I saw and received "keys" for and the key does not work and the owner can not be found, now the house is rented out by a different owner. Also, I fell for the whole take care of my house, be God fearing, it's not about the money, my family and I are on a mission in South Africa scam too. I don't know what else to do but I've lost a damaging amount of money and just do not want to remain homeless here.
PLEASE HELP.

Answers

7
Ken Burrows’ answer
The only recourse is to dig up as much information you can on the scam artists, report them to the Attorney General and possibly sue them if you can find them. It's sad that there are people in this world that pull things like that. Hopefully they catch them and put them behind bars. Definitely report them to the Attorney General to possibly save others from being victims.
This is very strange. We just had an eerily similar offer. The home is vacant and when I looked up on the county accessor, it is currently owned by someone other than the person who has it up on the real estate websites. They claim to live in NY and same as you stated - to be G-d fearing. They do not have our financial information, but they do know our home address and my cell number. Hopefully they can do little damage with these two. I will cease all further dealings with these people. It makes my blood boil...
No! Next time use a professional.
Unfortunately, there is probably little or nothing that you will be able to do about this. You can try to file complaints with various agencies but chances are that you will not get the money back. Also, if you used a credit or debit card then contact the bank that issues the card. Sometimes there will be built in protections. I would strongly suggest that in the future you use a licensed agent. If you are unsure if someone is licensed you can go to the Arizona Department of Real Estate and look up the license.

http://www.re.state.az.us/
I would call the police and attorney general regarding any scam that you may be involved with.

Good luck and God Bless. Unfortunately it is a lesson- if something seems to good to be true, it usually is. In the future please hire a real estate professional to represent you. there is no cost to you.

Debbie Nieman
Keller Williams Sonoran Living
You need to speak with your attorney general about the scams. Their office can tell you if they can help.
Sorry that happened to you, but there's really nothing you can do. These scam artists are pretty sophisticated and are usually not even based in the country. You'll just have to call it an expensive lesson.

Next time, go with a rental agent or only a listing from a Realtor.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
That sucks. I really wanted to go with a realtor but i don't know how to find a good one here in Arizona that can help me and it will be even harder now that I have to start my saving process over.
Flag Wed Jan 2, 2013