Rental Basics in 01440>Question Details

Karen Rogers, Home Buyer in Gardner, MA

Is six weeks ample time for a landlord to give if house is sold and i have to move?

Asked by Karen Rogers, Gardner, MA Sun May 13, 2012

my landlord sold the house, and the new landlord wants my apt., they gave me six weeks to move, is this a legal amt of time??

Answers

3
not a question as to ample time, its what is in the lease. No lease, TAW consider 30 day notice adequate.
If you have a lease, the new owner must honor that lease. if you are a tenant at will, then they only have to give you 30 days notice (actually, it's to the end of the next rental period). So if they give you notice on April 3, you have until May 30th to move. Some tenant at will agreements have 60 day notice clauses. In this case, they have to give you 2 months notice. Good luck!
Karen,

It's time to refer to your lease agreement. It should clearly spell out conditions and terms that govern this. Your contract is what should be followed.