Rental Basics in Santa Rosa>Question Details

Rachael McAl…, Renter in Santa Rosa, CA

Is renter's insurance really that important?

Asked by Rachael McAllister, Santa Rosa, CA Wed Apr 24, 2013

My sister told me I should get renter's insurance, but is it really that essential? I've been renting for 3 years without having it.

Answers

5
Terry Bell’s answer
A watched pot never boils! Better get that insurance. It's very reasonable, and if you have any computer stuff, flat screen TVs and other valuables, especially if you are paying for them on credit, it's best to have insurance, otherwise you'll be making payments for things you no longer have!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Yes, renters should always insure their belongings in case of flood, fire, theft. Things happen sometimes that are unfortunate. Always insure.
It depends on your assets and the value of the assets in your rental.

That determines whether you need it or not.

Also, should a theft occur, you might find yourself without any recourse.

Ruth
Web Reference: http://ruthandperry.com
First of all, you should draw up an inventory of all of your precious possessions. List the item, make, model, and serial number (and date of purchase if you have that handy). This list should be maintained regularly, by the way. Once you upgrade your computer, or buy a new 32" tv, be sure to jot down the new purchases. Also list your credit card numbers on the page (just for your reference).

This list (without the credit card numbers) will help you and your insurance agent determine the value of your possessions should an unforeseen event occur (fire, flood, burglary, etc). From that vantage point, it will be easier for you to decide whether renter's insurance is worth it. I'll bet you decide it is worth it...
If you value your possessions it's important. If not, don't worry about it!
What do you mean? What in all does renter's insurance cover? My parents and I don't talk, so I have no one else to ask except this community.
Flag Wed Apr 24, 2013