Rental Basics in Charlotte>Question Details

kiahphillips, Renter in Charlotte, NC

Is it usual to use an agent when looking for a rental property?

Asked by kiahphillips, Charlotte, NC Thu Aug 2, 2012

Hi, we are a British family who are currently living in Australia and due to move to NC later this year. We are unfamiliar with the process for renting a property in the US and would really appreciate some guidance on how to go about things. To complicate things further, we have a three and a half year old son with autism who will need to be close to ABA therapy providers. Any ideas? Thanks.

Answers

1
kiahphillips,

Congratulations on your move to the Charlotte area. I moved here eight years ago with my family and we have no regrets. Finding a rental place in Charlotte can be a daunting task. You are going to want ot give yourself at least 30 to 60 days to find a rental place.

One thing to consider is how far of a drive do you want for you and your son to go to therapy. What do you consider an acceptable drive time? That can and will play a factor in places you look at. Another is going to be how much of a renatl amount you want to spend. Are there any special things you are lookign for in a place? Have you located an ABA thereapist that you might be using when you get to Charlotte?

Most realtors can help you locate a place for rent. The seller pays for the services to the Realtor when you find a home to rent. Other avenues are to go through trulia website and search rentals there and contact the agent or managemetn company directly.

most are probably goign to charge you a fee to check your credit and they will call it an applciation fee. it can and does vary depending on the palce. Then the normal fee would be the first month rent up front and one month rent as a security deposit as well..

If you would liek soem help guiding through the process please feel free to give me a call at 704-519-7895 or e-mail me at ddicecco@cbunited.com and I will walk you through and help you out the best I can. I just had another family from Australia move ehre a few months ago as well so i am familair with the process and differenced between there and here.

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
http://www.davedicecco.com