Rental Basics in 91706>Question Details

Adrian, Renter in Baldwin Park, CA

Is it right to raise the rent doulb the amount when there is new owner ship?

Asked by Adrian, Baldwin Park, CA Thu Oct 14, 2010

I live in Baldwin park CA i have been renting an apartment 2bedroom 1 bath and garage for 8 years. The owner has owned them for about 20 years and dicide to sale. I pay $700 and the new owner is looking to raise it to around $1300. What should I do?

Help the community by answering this question:


carreonx6’s answer
Need help. Mother's tenant is being evicted (refusal to resign rental agreement and stopped paying rent stating home is inhabitable; though items on her list have been fixed) This is now going to court. The tenant requested a jury trial and wants 2 years of free rent and named other requests on court document that I won't bore you with.

1. Does the tenant have the right to request a jury trial b4 seeing a judge without any objections from our side?
2. I can't get straight answer regarding whether or not the City of Baldwin Park is under the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance. Their housing department didn't know and couldn't answer me. Does any one here know? If so, in the 20 years+ my mother has owned the property she has never been asked, paid for, or recieved documentation that the city was under this ordinance.
3. We have licence contractor to inspect the home, signed documents from exterminators that were sent to her home 3x this year, and one neighbor whose willing to provide only a written statement on my mother's behalf. Still this is a scary situation for her, she is in her 60s and depends on the income of the property. Please advise, the lawyer is not that helpful with providing her information. Dennis Block is who she is using.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 20, 2013
Thank you for your advice.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 14, 2010
$1,300 sounds a little high for a 2bdr apartment in Baldwin Park but new owner can raise the rent unless you are still under a "lease" agreement. There is no rent control in Baldwin Park that I know of. Looks like you may have to find another place that is affordable for you. I also recommend to budget yourself every month and save every month in order to be prepared for the next unexpected change (this may also lead to homeownership!).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 14, 2010
Hey Adrian, do you know if Baldwin Park has rent control? For example, here in LA, if the property was built after...1978 I believe, a landlord can only raise rents up to 4% a year.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 14, 2010
Thank you your answer. Will I can't afford it and I didn't want to move at this time due to financial hardship . I was just about to adjust to the economic crisis.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 14, 2010
The new owner has to honor your lease, however once your lease expires nothing stops him from negotiating new terms. And it's up to you to either agree, re-negotiate or move out. It stinks, but unfortunately that's how it works.

Try negotiating with the owner if you feel he's raising the price to over the market rent.

Andrew and Elena Ollick
Amerivest Realty
Latest Post: Housing Has Finally Hit the Bottom
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 14, 2010
Looks like you'll probably have to move if you can't afford it. The previous owner probably had little or no loan balance & was able to charge low for your rent. A new owner probably has a high loan balance & needs to cover it through rent.

If the market rate for rents in Baldwin Park CAN actually command a $1300/mo rent for a 2b 1ba unit w/ a garage, then the new owner will do everything they can to find a tenant willing to pay that amount. And, to answer your question about right & wrong. It is right, so long as the market supports that rental rate & there's a willing & able tenant ready to pay it.
562-430-3053 cell
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 14, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer