Rental Basics in Willowbrook>Question Details

Evgeny Barch…, Renter in Outside U.S.

Is it possible to rent apartments for new emmigrants?

Asked by Evgeny Barchukov, Outside U.S. Sat Oct 6, 2012

Our family: myself, my wife and son (10 years), won green card, and we are going to move to the United States.
We're moving at the end of November.
Upon arrival, we will open a bank account and apply for a SSN (it takes about 1-2 week). At the time of arrival in the U.S., the work we do not have, we will search only when we arrive.
We are interested in 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom apartments in Skokie, Naperville, Willowbrook, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Des Plaines, or nearby (about 20-35 miles from Loop, Chicago), in the same good areas, and where there are good schools.
Maximum rent apartments - up to $ 1100.

Is it possible to rent apartments for new emmigrants (without credit score)?
Who can help us?

Answers

3
It will be very difficult to rent in a good area (good complex) with little or no credit history. Almost all landlords (especially in the far west suburbs of Chicago) do a full criminal background and credit check, and they will want you to already be employed before they rent to you, unless you can pay the full amount of the lease 6 month or 1yr upfront. I would work with your sponser to set up residence with family or friends, get your jobs and get working, enroll your son in school and establish residency. Once you have been employed at least 6 months if not one year, you will have a much better chance at getting a decent apartment in a safe area with good schools. Do not look at anything near west side or south side, very dangerous areas with high crime and gang violence. The further north or west you are the better. Hope this info helps and good luck!
Thank you... But what about rent? =)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
I would seek advise of relatives or friends who may be residing in the area. I think your immigrant visa application must have names of people with whom you will stay after arrival to the U.S. The best way to build your credit score is to apply for a store credit card like Target, Walmart or similar. They are the easiest go get, even if you have no credit score.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012