Rental Basics in 19149>Question Details

Yvette Johns…, Home Owner in Philadelphia, PA

Is it okay to have quarterly inspections of a rental property?

Asked by Yvette Johnson, Philadelphia, PA Sat Apr 21, 2012

I am renting out my house which is in a different state. Is it okay to have a family member do quick quarterly inspections of the property?

Answers

4
Ron Thomas’ answer
Pretend for a moment. that you are a TENANT, and your landlord wants to come into you house and check it out 4 times a year: After the second or thid time, you'd be screaming at him.

NO! Don't do that!
You have a rental agreement that spells out details like damage to the property, responsibility for repairs, etc.
You cannot oversee how clean or neat they are. You cannot criticize if they have dirty dishes in the sink or the diaper pail has not been emptied.
You will drive yourself crazy with this level of surveilance. You don't want to know.
When they move out, you will clean it and repair any damage; you accepted this when you decided to become a landlord.
I would not be surprised if there were ordinances limiting how how often you could legally encroach on their privacy.
Being a long distance landlord always has challenges! If you don't have a property manager, which by the way is a good idea, you can certainly arrange for quarterly inspections, provided your lease agreement does not expressly prohibit that. In my experience, it's always good to have a reason for being there, aside from just an 'inspection'. If you are providing a service, such as changing of a/c filters, spraying for pests, makes a win-win for everyone!
Why are you inspecting the house? Who is your property manager? if you have the house in another state would it not make more sense to have thje property managed by a profecional real estate person who knows how to manage both the tenant and the property. If your family member inspect the property and something is wrong what are you going to do and what expertise does your family member have. Please think it over.

Philip Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corp
215-725-5700
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
Hello Yvette, as long as youput that request in the lease + tenants agree to this than sure....

All the Best John Curci RE/MAX Properties
215-757-2889
Web Reference: http://www.Homecatch.com
It wasn't written in the lease, but it was expressed vocally to the tenant. She agreed with having my sister come in to inspect throughout the lease term. Now, the husband is complaining about it.
Flag Sat Apr 21, 2012