Rental Basics in 33133>Question Details

Nancy, Renter in 33133

Is it legal to rent an apartment without a kitchen?

Asked by Nancy, 33133 Sun Sep 12, 2010

When I looked at this apartment, I noticed there was no real kitchen, no sink etc. The landlord said that after a month he would put in a kitchen sink. It has now been 6 months and no sink. I have to wash dishes in the bathroom!

Answers

5
What the landlord said is not as important as what is in writing. Did you find this place from an ad in the paper, on Craigs..... did it say anything about what you were leasing? (i.e. 3 room apartment; kitchen, livingroom, bedroom?)

In some states you are not guaranteed hot water or a kitchen. Perhaps you are renting rooms and as such you have no kitchen priveledges.

What does your lease state? Look for something in print and then you have a case. Meantime, send a certified letter via the US post office to your landlord demanding he/she come through with the promises you received. I would state the dates you moved in and in quotes the statements made to you as to the upgrade to your place made by the landlord. Give a specific date upon which you demand fulfillment of the promises. The certified letter should also have a return signature card to you so you know that the letter was received. Retain all this along with the photos you take.

Next take photos of every nook and cranny of your place showing what you have and the state in which it is in (did you sign a move in/move out paper?) Photo your place neat with regard to your own clothes and furniture. Photo anything that is damaged and was damaged when you moved in? Photos work in court and help make your case.

Are there other 'apartments' in the building? Do they have kitchens? If so, see if you can take a photo at one of them. You should make friends with the other tenants if there are any and get the lowdown on this landlord. You never know what kind of promises were made to them. Power in numbers remember.

DO NOT STOP PAYING THE RENT. No matter what you need to continue paying rent. If you don't you might not get your deposit back (READ YOUR LEASE).

I'm a landlord (and a real estate agent) and I've been to court dozens of times with tenants (99.9% because they don't pay rent for all kinds of reasons they make up to get out of shelling out funds), so I'm pretty versed in some of this. However, real estate agents can not give legal advice. So these are my suggestions as a landlady.....

Ultimately, you migh seek free legal assistance from the city in which you reside. Go online and see if the city doesn't have a booklet about renters' and landlord rights. That would also be a good place to start.

When all else fails, you can talk to an attorney. I would also start looking for another apartment BUT do not break your lease unless you can come to terms with the landlord about that stating you want your deposit back and you want him/her to sign a release from your obligations to the current lease.
Web Reference: http://sarasotakaren.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 12, 2010
I don't see how this can be a legal apartment without a kitchen. Consult your local housing authority, let them know what going on, and find another place to live....quickly.

Best of luck to you.
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 12, 2010
I'm pretty sure it is illegal to rent an apartment without a kitchen. I wouldn't wait too much longer to do something about it.

Elena Ollick
Amerivest Realty
Faith Home Loans
239-206-4500
eo@oceanhomesrealty.com
http://www.andrewollick.com/realestateblog
It doesnt sound like it is a true apartment if there is no kitchen. Your choice is checking with the housing department in Miami and checking to see if it is a legal apertment and confronting the landlord. He can bring the apartment up to code, or seek legal advice to end your lease and find a legal apartment with a living standard that is up to code. Good luck working things out
Nancy,

It may be time to start looking again....the landlord has had more than ample time to make these arrangements. If you are paying for a kitchen you should have one!!

It sounds like you have been more than patient.....time to flex some muscle and advocate for yourself.