Rental Basics in New York>Question Details

Janet, Renter in Outside U.S.

Is it common for a landlord to request a deposit to be held in trust by RENT.com, before the prospective tenant can view the apartment ?

Asked by Janet, Outside U.S. Thu Jul 12, 2012

Is RENT.com legitimate?

Answers

10
This sounds like one of the countless Craig's List cons. If you ever give a deposit before you have seen an apartment you should be prepared to 1. never see the apartment anyway and 2. never see your deposit aain.
Work with an agent you can trust. You'll probably have to pay a fee but at least you'll get an apartment and know where the money went.

Nancy Brennan
Corcoran Group
Always verify ownership before exchanging any money; no reason for a deposit if you haven't seen the unit, nor have an agreement in place....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
Thank-you everyone for your responses to my question. I've done my due diligence. It's probably another scam based out of Nigeria. I'm very glad that I asked so many questions of the "scammer", including questioning the "scammer" about his/her request for funds. It's straight up fraud. He/she will not be getting a dime out of me. I feel sorry for the countless number of unsuspecting people who have actually fallen for this. Even with all of my digging for information on-line I still nearly fell for it. As they say, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. I won't be fooled again. I'm reporting the incident to the proper authorities. Thank-you again for the support!
Rent.com is a portal . . . a website with rental units available. Nothing more, nothing less. They are NOT rental property. They are displaying rental units that individual post and pay a fee to display on their site.

So taking Rent.com out of the equation, it is not common for a landlor to request a deposit to be held in trust to view a property. They will say it's held in trust and perhaps use Rent.com, but I'm sure there is no such agreement in place and it's only a scam to get gullible people to believe it true. Use your head!! Think. If it doesn't sound correct, do not part with your money.
sounds like a scam to me. Contact a broker in the area you are planning to look and let them help you. You will get professional service and assistance to help you relocate.
I never heard of that, NEVER NEVER NEVER I don't know how many times I can repeat that, give a deposit before you see an apartment!!!!!! Skip that apartment if it sounds to good to be true its probably because it's not. Jeannette Batsikas
Hi Janet, NEVER GIVE money without having seen what you are paying for. You may want to view 5 properties before deciding or 8. Be careful fo these scammers.....
No. Always meet the Agent or Realtor at their office and request everything in writing.
Faye Samim
NO!, this does not sound correct. BEWARE!
NO it is not, don't do it.