Rental Basics in 10003>Question Details

Timco, Other/Just Looking in 10003

International arrival in NYC with NO CREDIT HISTORY looking for Manhattan rental

Asked by Timco, 10003 Fri Mar 13, 2009

A family friend has just moved to NYC from overseas and is looking for a 3 bedroom apartment to rent in the $3K/month range in the Gramercy/Flatiron neighborhoods. There seem to be plenty of options out there that would suit her, but she obviously has no credit history and really doesn't have anyone available to co-sign for her. Are there rentals out there that would accept a tenant like this? She's quite desperate at this point.

Thanks!

Answers

5
3 Bedroom, $3000 and no credit--IN Grammercy Flatiron?
as John McEnroe says...YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

Try $5000 and paying a year up front and you might have a chance
Otherwise Brooklyn
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 13, 2009
They will have to either get a US guarantor or find a landlord that allows to pay upfront for 6 month or a year, or get INSURED and a landlord that accepts Insured. Before making showing appointments, you should check if a specific Landlord accepts this type of tenants
I have placed International Clients without any US credit History Several times. The best bet is to pre-pay the rent for the first year. Another option might be Insurrent, a lease guaranty company. Although I have not used them yet, I have heard many good things about them. You will have to check them out yourself, http://www.insurent.com/

I might be able to help you out but you will have to open your options to other parts of the city due to you budget.

Timco,
This is a tricky question, especially as to start off with I think a 3 bedroom in Gramercy would go for more than that! What country is she coming from? It might be possible to arrange for letters of credit from her country of origin and or possibly have her employer co-sign. I agree with Eileen that her best bet is to offer 6 months to a year in advance perhaps in escrow (please check with an attorney) I do know of a 2 bedroom with loft spaces in each room on the UWS that is in that range.( the current tenant was in a similar situation)
Let me know if you'd like me to find out if it is still available. Good luck!
If she wanted to live by herself, I would think her only option is to pre-pay all or a very substantial portion of her rent and her security deposit. Her other obvious option is to share an apartment until she establishes her own credit history.