Rental Basics in 55116>Question Details

Gada729, Home Buyer in Saint Paul, MN

In brooklyn New York. My lease was up August 30. Let the landlord know at the beginning of month that I will not renew lease as I was not sure if

Asked by Gada729, Saint Paul, MN Wed Sep 5, 2012

I can find another apartment in time. Notified him again on the 10th of August that I will be leaving at the end of the month. Handed in my keys at the end of the month. He's telling me now that I can't get my security because I did not give him notice even though he has been showing the apartment while I was there to rent.

Answers

3
Cameron Piper’s answer
In MN, where the question was posted. Giving notice of one month means that you have to give notice the day before the last day of the previous month. In other words, you need to give the landlord a full month, plus one day. From what I read here, it sounds like you gave your notice too late.

Cameron Piper
Coldwell Banker Burnet
licensed MN Broker
612-839-4202
Web Reference: http://www.CamPiper.com
I would have you check out the link that I provided bellow. This should answer your question, or point you in the right direction.

http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/faq/renewalvacancy.html
I am sure NYC has a group which arbitrates landlord-tenant disputes. You should contact your local (NY) government offices, state, county or municipal, and find out what recourse you might have and if this was handled appropriately. In MN, we have a strong consumer advocacy through goverment or co0nsueer agencieds. Since I am not in NY and am not licensed in NY, I can only presume it would be similar. Liz, 612-986-4105

PS I am very good at helping my clients writre compelling anfd useful letters. If you need some thogujts in that direction, feel free to call.