voyage1985, Renter in Philadelphia, PA

Im renting an apartment in NE Phila, my landlord cant afford place anymore so he gonna lose it, will I automatically get kicked out?

Asked by voyage1985, Philadelphia, PA Thu Jan 24, 2013

Getting Kicked out, Maybe?

Answers

5
Kathleen Sheridan’s answer
If the property is sold at Sheriff Sale, typically the lender who gets the property will want you to move out. If you can wait for them to contact you, they may offer you some relocation assistance.

If your owner is doing a short sale, then your lease will go with the property. The new owner may or may not want you to move. You should be current on your rent, or have the rent in an escrow account.

I suggest that you ask your landlord to keep you informed. ..
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 25, 2013
Thank you for your advise and info. Greatly appreciated.
Flag Fri Jan 25, 2013
The lender when they foreclose technically wipe out your lease. But, every lender is different. Some will file immediately to get possession and sometimes you'll be able to stay for years.

They, at some point, will contact you. Wait and see what happens. You might get very lucky but be prepared to move soon.

Also, now and right after the foreclosure, don't expect anyone to do any repairs since the lease is void.

Fred Glick

Broker/Owner, Multi-state Licensed Real Estate Brokerage U S Spaces, Inc.
Managing Member, NMLS Certified Mortgage Brokerage U S Loans Mortgage LLC

215.238.9400 East Coast
415.683.6950 West Coast

http://fredglick.com

2043 Locust Street Phila, PA 19103 215.829.8850 x201
4354 Perlita Ave Los Angeles, CA 90039 310-741-7179

Licensed Real Estate Broker PA- U S Spaces, Inc.
Real Estate Broker, CA Dept of Real Estate DRE#01507615
NJ Licensed Real Estate Salesperson- U S Spaces

U S Loans Mortgage LLC #51022
Licensed by the Commonwealth of PA Department of Banking,
Virginia State Corporations Commission, License #MC-4943, State of Florida
California licensed with Signet Mortgage, NMLS# 168365, DRE#01403423
Personal Virginia Mortgage License #MLO-523VA
NMLS Test Certified National License #133975
http://usloans.com for live rates and online mortgage application
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your advice and input.

When you say "Some will file immediately to get possession" - do they even give the people whose renting from the landlord time to move out.
Flag Thu Jan 24, 2013
OK Voyage, Check this legal link... it may shed some light on your rights as a tenant....

All the Best, John Curci

http://www.courts.phila.gov/howdoi/index.asp?search=26
Thanks but I might just move. This is just too much, Ive been living in this APt legit for 3 years, No late or missed rent was giving, No problems out of me ( even the my landlord has said- out of all his tenants I was the Best*- with payments and no issues). Now there maybe a chance that I have to go to court , take time from me going to work to deal with something that HE (LANDLORD) did- (couldnt pay his mortage for the apt/duplezx house). NO way. Thanks for your advise , greatly appreciate it.
Flag Mon Jan 28, 2013
In Oklahoma, once the Sheriff's sale is complete, the winner of the bidding has to give you 10 days notice after the confirmation hearing.

Best of Luck,

Josh Barnett, Realtor
Metro First Realty
Web Reference: http://www.GetSoldOKC.com
If you are no longer paying the landlord rent, I would suggest putting the monthly rent in a seperate account to prove that you have not broken your lease. This way you can prove in court that you weren't living rent free. If you are paying landlord I would suggest to get receipts of every payment.