Rental Basics in 49445>Question Details

Katherine Mc…, Renter in Muskegon, MI

Im looking to rent a home in at the end of May when my lease is up..when should i contact owners and start looking?

Asked by Katherine Mclaughlin, Muskegon, MI Tue Dec 20, 2011

Answers

4
Coming from a lanlords perspective - I would start looking at the beginning of May. As a landlord I'm hesitant to show a rental that is more than 30 days from being vacant as too many potential renters flake out during the wait. Hope this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 20, 2011
Katherine,
I would sugest looking in April. The rental market is tough right now and you will need some time to find one that suits you. You may have better luck looking for one that is coming available rather than one that is vacant now.
I don't deal with many rentals but I would be happy to help if you are looking.
Brent
I'm a landlord but here in PA. Just in case, check your current lease. There may be language in there that contractually requires you to provide X days notice if you will not be staying at the end of it. If there isn't anything there, then the law in your state probably is 30 full days written notice. By all means give them more so that your landlord can also make preparations.

FYI. Your landlord may seem great now but be a good and careful tenant. Take LOTS of photos of your place and do a really good job cleaning up. Check the landlord/tenant laws for your state for return of security deposit, etc.

That aside, I'd start looking 60 days ahead of time - keep an eye on craigslist for anything really interesting. Be ready and able to put down a deposit for anything good so that others don't snap it up. Also place an ad of your own on CL. Refresh it every 3-4 days. Provide all the relevant details so that landlords will want to find you. Something like this will be pretty good. Just make it true and good: "Working professionals, non-smoking, no pets seek quiet 2-3 BR house. Towns and areas we will consider include XYZ. Excellent references and credit". Etc etc.

J.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 25, 2011
I recommend looking around a month from your expected move in. In regards to the owner of your current place, I would let him/her know no later than 60 days out to give them a chance at marketing to get another tenant in your current place as well. This will make life easier for them and they are likely to help you out with a good reference in exchange.

Don't forget, many times you can call a real estate broker or agent to help you find a home and this is at no cost to you. Typically, the seller pays a tenant agent's commission unless other terms have been negotiated.

Homes for rent are going fast these days. When you start looking, make sure you are ready to go and qualified or willing to give enough deposit to provide you some leverage for being the "winning" tenant for your new place.

Best of Luck