Rental Basics in Chicago>Question Details

Trulia Chica…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

If you feel like your superintendent is violating your privacy, who do you report this to?

Asked by Trulia Chicago, Chicago, IL Thu Apr 18, 2013

Answers

7
Dear Trulia Chicago,

Brendan Ross is on top of it today. While you can speak with a tenant rights attorney, the first thing you must do is document each incident. Do not miss one infraction. A tenant also can contact the city at 311 and report the violation to the city and someone will be happy to assist as well.

Tim Moore mentions calling the police... Again yes you can file a police report but that can done by call 311 and you file the report over the phone. Calling the police should only be instances of break ins and emergencies. Also of course if someone enters your apartment while you are home without your permission, call the police.
The answer is: it depends.

If you feel that your landlord or building manager is violating your privacy, you should speak with a tenants' rights attorney. Things such as entering your apartment without your permission for non-emergencies is a violation of the Chicago RLTO, and there are penalties for this. Your attorney can provide more information.

For things such as drilling a hole in your wall and spying on you, Norman Bates style, call the police. Then call your attorney.
Very helpful, thank you!
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
If you fell like ......its not strong to me ...
But if he did it , call the Chicago tenants rights organization , they are very good .
yes you report everything
The owner, then the police. Thats what I would do.
I would think you would speak with his boss or ownership first. Then an attorney or the authorities if nothing gets resolved.
A. Police

B. Your mother

C. The Governor

D. All of the above

I pick A.