Rental Basics in Boston>Question Details

Trulia Boston, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

If one's apt. lease is ending in a few weeks, are they obligated to let the realtors come show their place to potential new tenants all the time?

Asked by Trulia Boston, Boston, MA Wed Nov 7, 2012

Answers

6
Your personal lease papers will explain the notice required.
Unless a specific time for the notice is written in to the lease, it usually just says reasonable notice.
Reasonable doesn't usually mean last minute, or anytime they want, or without notice.

I would re-read your lease with a focus on that part.
Also, keep in mind that "all the time" may not be understood by the landlord or real estate professional.
You might suggest setting up a specific time each day when you would make the unit available to view.
That way you can know when, the landlord can be assured that the unit will look in reasonable condition, and you can avoid "all the time" showings.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 7, 2012
Information regarding showings to prospective tenants should be outlined in the lease.
Your lease has all the answers you need to answer this question. In most cases there is a reasonable solution as the landlord has a right to access their own property. The key word is reasonable requests.
this is another TRULIA generated "question" ! Not a real question asked by a consumer
Flag Fri Nov 9, 2012
Doesn't anyone else notice (or care) that these inane questions are being posted by TRULIA- and NOT a consumer?
I'm fully aware of who is posting the question and if I respond I frame my answer accordingly. Admittedly, I've seen answers that are written as though the author of the question is a consumer and that does make me wince.

I think that the Trulia questions are being posed to bring topics into the discussion that buyers, tenants, sellers, etc may wonder about but not ask. In general the overall level of questions is rather pitiful so I welcome the attempts to beef up the discussion. I would think that questions live on and are read by browsers or people specifically seeking info on that topic. Why not have some threads that address topics to do with real estate?
Flag Wed Nov 7, 2012
This question can be answered from the information offered in your original Lease Agreement.
The Standard MAR/GBREB Lease Agreement gives Owners/Landlords the right to show (or have their Agents show) their units to contractors, appraisers or prospective renters with reasonable notice.
The MA Consumer Affairs website also offers guidelines where Landlords should use reasonable efforts, including notice and minimal disturbance to a Tenants before showings.

Bottom line, the Landlord has rights, but so do the Tenants. Strong communication between the parties can make this transition a bit easier.

Keep in mind that when a unit shows well and is kept clean & tidy, it will rent much quicker and Tenants will be disturbed much less frequently.

Kind Regards,

Norman D. Hodson
Direct Line: 617-861-3630
Cellular: 617-818-2101
Direct Fax: 617-294-4396
Email: normanhodson@kw.com
Website: http://www.MyBostonRE.com

BOSTON – METRO
607 Boylston Street, 5th floor, Boston, MA. 02116
Office: 617-542-0012 • Fax: 617-542-0016
http://www.kwbostonmetro.com
A tenant should review their lease. In many leases there's a clause that specifically mentions allowing access for this purpose with notice given. You can certainly set limits or turn down a particular request if it conflicts with something you're doing. In general, why not try to be cooperative?