Rental Basics in New York>Question Details

Trulia New Y…, Other/Just Looking in New York

If one not has not received their security deposit or notification of deductions after 90 days. What are their rights?

Asked by Trulia New York, New York Thu Nov 15, 2012

Answers

6
You certainly have the right to get back your security deposit or portion thereof that is left after deducting damages and 90days is an unusually long time to wait. If its a rental building with a management company involved I would contact the building manager and check it out. If it is a co-op sublet or condo rental, you should contact the owner of the unit and ask for the security back (or an accounting of the damage if there is any claimed). If you dont get satisfaction in either scenerio after some reasonable follow-up, etc, I would contact a landlord/tenant attorney to help you. As a broker I am actively representing many landlords and can tell you that all are in the habit of returning security within 30 days of a tenants leaving a unit. Best of luck
Charlie Summers, SVP, Bellmarc 917-376-1648, csummers@bellmarc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 15, 2012
With a rental, there is no set legal guideline or time frame that the landlord is required to return the security deposit however most landlords I deal with usually expedite that process within 2-3 weeks of vacancy. For more information on your rights and/or help with collection of said return feel free to click this link to the Attorney Generals office http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/T… where they publish a tenants rights guide. Specifically page number 9 refers to security deposits.

Looking forward,

Christine Gordon
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Cell: 917.881.2924
Fax: 347.328.9352
Apartment updates available at http://www.christinegordon.postlets.com
"Home is where the heart is."
4 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
May I assume you are no longer residing there? Is it a private home? An apartment building? Is there a landlord or a management company?

Lots of scenarios and not enough information.

As a landlord, I inspect properties when the tenant has removed their belongings and swept out the apartment and I come with a blank check.

You do have recourse; check with your attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 15, 2012
contact the building manager and check whats going on
That is too long to wait for information from your Landlord. I found a link on line that appear to answer your question and more on Tenant Law in NY state.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
I agree with Gail lots of scenarios and absolutely no details to give any kind of advice.