Rental Basics in 90068>Question Details

Sonny, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

If i'm not on a lease and my roommate got mad at me and is threatening to kick me out and throw my stuff on the street. what do i do?

Asked by Sonny, Los Angeles, CA Fri Aug 23, 2013

her boyfriend and i do not get along. even came in and threatened to fight me when we were arguing. i own all the furniture in this house and she's rubbing in my face that it doesn't matter because her dad is on the lease and i'm not. we moved in here together. i have no money and no place to go. she knows that.

Help the community by answering this question:


John Arendsen’s answer
If you're renting you probably don't have the money to mess with an attorney unless he's very generous and offers up a pro bono or takes it on a contingency which is very doubtful because there's not nearly enough money involved. You'd be better to just suck it up and say........................NEXT!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 25, 2013
You can email Housing Authority or just Hire a Lawyer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 25, 2013
Who on Earth needs a roommate like that anyway. Sounds like you'd be much better off saying...............seeeeeeeeeya!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 27, 2013
tomorrow i am going to call the landlord. i put all my money into this place. fixing and painting. we arent supposed to have animals. she has a cat that sprays in the house and tears and claws at the carpet. she even was smoking hookah and burned a hole in the carpet. she doesn't take care of this place. i'm really sad that i might have to move and she can stay.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 27, 2013
Definitely let the landlord know all of that!
Flag Mon Sep 2, 2013
Why do people do this? They are probably in violation of the lease as most residential rental agreements don't allow subletting. Is she even on the lease? Maybe you should talk to the landlord or her dad. Try to work things out and call a lawyer if you need help.

J.R. Thrasher
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 25, 2013
You certainly have rights, but you will likely have to sue to make the best of them. Dan's right; sounds like you should either move on, or seek therapy if the relationship is important to you.

Good luck,
Jen Winter
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 24, 2013
This would be a good one for judge Judy. Not sure you'll find much legal help here. Perhaps a little moral support and sympathy but that's about it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 24, 2013
Start by reviewing the Landlord Tenant Law in CA. As a roommate, you likely have some rights and can't be just put in the street. The other consideration is, if you don't have to stay in such a hostile environment, why don't you find another place and just leave?
One last thought, threatening anyone is a criminal offense. Don't put yourself in danger, life is precious and short. Consider your options.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 23, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer