Rental Basics in 33417>Question Details

Caking, Renter in 33417

If an apt complex requires a copy of your birth certificate, after the approval I asked for it back. I was told no because of the 20/80 rule.

Asked by Caking, 33417 Wed Feb 8, 2012

My son didn't have his Social security card & he was apprehensive about giving a copy of his birth certificate. He asked for the copy of his birth certificate and the leasing manager told him she couldn't do that because of the 20/80 rule. And if he didn't like it she would release him from the lease and he could move somewhere else. He's also had a problem with toilet being stopped up 4 times since he's moved in and they can't determine the cause of the issue. It appears that the leasing manager is just aggravated within him in general to the point where she would rather that he move out of the unit.

Answers

1
The 80 / 20 law in reference to 55+ communities has rules for age verification, but I do not know of any laws stating they must maintain original records. I am not an attorney and do not know the exact laws for this situation, I recommend to seek the assistance of a free tenant legal service or RE attorney - or try to work with the manager directly. I wish you the best luck.

Daniel K. Wyka
REALTOR ®
Cell: 239.398.5667
Email: DanWyka@KW.com

Keller Williams Elite Realty
24851 S. Tamiami Trail, Suite 1
Bonita Springs, FL 34134