Rental Basics in 94513>Question Details

Gloria, Other/Just Looking in 94513

If a renter promised to pay his deposit a little bit every month until he catches up but it's been 21 months

Asked by Gloria, 94513 Fri Jun 19, 2009

and he hasn't paid anything yet, and is constantly late paying his rent , how many days do I have to give him to get out or evict him from the property. We have a contract but I have never had to deal with renters before in my life. My dad died 2 years ago and left me this house and these people just take advantage of me left and right. Please Help me.

Answers

5
Hello Gloria

Property Management can be very frustrating at times when you do it by yourself. I know because I manage my properties and the families properties. From my experience, I have learned that you have to treat a tenant like a business not a friend.

Try talking to them to see if they will cooperate, but do NOT tell them you will begin the eviction process if they dont because that could trigger them to not pay you any rent and destroy the house. If they are still unwilling to cooperate then I would immediately contact the nearest Eviction services company and begin the eviction process. Dont let yourself get taken advantage of and show no fear towards them

Let me how this situation works out for you. Good Luck

Indalecio "Andy" Del Real
There are some guides that may be helpful at the California Department of Consumer Affairs web site
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml
Web Reference: http://DaveSuttonHomes.com
because he hasnt paid the full amount of the deposit, he breached the contract. You should be able to give him a form called 3 day pay or quit. I can email you the form if you want. This form tells the tenant that they have 3 days to pay what he owes you. if he still doesn't pay, you can move on to eviction process. let me know if you want me to email you the form.
Document every conversation and transaction as well. It's very important to keep a clear log of this in case you need to head to court. Also, get a lawyer if you don't understand any legal proceedings.
Web Reference: http://www.crosswalkre.com
Hi Gloria,

Any agreement you had appears to have been broken numerous times and it way past time to get rid of him.

I have been doing property management for a while and would never let a tenant get this far with these many issues. How you handle it is up to what the original contact states. You can give him a 30 day notice to quit and move out, then start eviction proceedings. However, it would be to your advantage to speak with them first about clearing up the matter. This way he doesn't take it out on the home if you know what I mean. If that doesn't work, then it is time to get tough.

If you have any questions, you can call me at 925-550-8479.

John