Rental Basics in Brooklyn>Question Details

Muffinman, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

If I believe there is asbestos in my rental, I am not sure but I think so? What are my rights?

Asked by Muffinman, Brooklyn, NY Mon Feb 25, 2013

Answers

3
Gail Gladstone’s answer
I believe that the landlord is under obligation to have it encased or legally removed. Make the call and ask the landlord to have it inspected.

Your other option is for you to call someone in to determine what it is and then request your landlord take on the removal.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.co
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2013
Thank you Gail.
Flag Mon Feb 25, 2013
if indeed you have asbestos (which would require testing) and if it represents a hazardous condition, then you landlord may be required to take care of it. If the asbestos is not flaking or doesn't present any immediate hazard, you may want to consider leaving it or wrapping it so that it's not disturbed and doesn't become airbourne
If it was built before 1991, it MAY have asbestos, if it was built before 1975, it probably does.

The real question: is the asbestos creating a health hazard?

Check out the American Lung Association site: http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/asbestosis/understanding-as…

If it's encapsulated, like in the flooring underlayment, then it's really unlikely to be a problem. If it's lining the ducts, yeah, it could be a problem.

For most people, asbestos is housing is benign. The part about "The severity of your disease depends on how long you were exposed to asbestos and the amount you inhaled"? Asbestos workers who spent forty hours fifty weeks a year and also smoked are the most likely people to be affected. People sitting at home watching TV, not so likely to be affected.