Rental Basics in 10603>Question Details

Ollie22887, Renter in 10603

I will need an apartment by August 1st, when should I start looking?

Asked by Ollie22887, 10603 Sun Apr 15, 2012

I am a graduate student living in white plains, Ny. I attend Pace University in Pleasantville and would like to stay in the surrounding area for an easy commute (Harstdale, White Plains, Pleasantville, Briarcliff Manor, Ossining, Elmsford, Etc) When do I begin my search? My lease is over July 31st.

Answers

4
You should probably start searching and getting familiar with the areas you might be interested in right now. You should begin your actual search in May/June. If you find something you really love and its available in July and you're not available until Aug....you can always try to negotiate it with the hope that if you have great credit and good references, the landlord will consider waiting until Aug for you. If not, at least you'll have a head start on looking and knowing what the market bears. If you establish yourself with one agent, they can start to send you listings, and you'll get a real feel for what's out there.

Barbara O'Connell
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson NYS
Margot Bennett, Inc.
914-548-1628
Actually Ollie...I just realized I made a mistake...probably end of June beginning of July for the search!
Hi, you can have contact with an agent now so they can keep you up to date with new listings. It's important to get a feel for what is available based on your criteria. This will give you the opportunity to see how realistic your expectations are and give you time to modify your criteria if necessary. Rentals can close pretty quick, coops can take up to a month based on the board approval process.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914 406 9023
Hi Ollie:

Probably end of May beginning of June.

If you need help in your search for new housing, please give me a call.

You may also sign up at the link below and search yourself.

Thanking you in advance for your attention to this matter.

AnneMarie Encarnacao, SFR REO
Century 21 Schneider
914-774-2764

http://www.annemariecentury21.listingbook.com