Rental Basics in 53704>Question Details

Nehemie Alex…, Renter in Madison, WI

I will be transferring to a school in Madison. How early (or late) should I be looking into apartments?

Asked by Nehemie Alexis, Madison, WI Wed Oct 3, 2012

I've been searching for over 6 months now and seems as though waiting for last minute sublets is what I should do. But I like to plan ahead? What should I do? And how can I find the best deals/options?
The Spring term starts in January 2013...

I am a campus area landlord. If you are transferring in for 2nd semester beginning 1/2013 there won't be many availabilities, but what you find you will get a good price on . We begin renting for the fall 2013 semester (8/15-2013 -8/14/2014) on November 15 2012, so if you are looking for that school year, you need to be ready to start looking on November 15th. Find rentals here:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 3, 2012
I will be starting at MATC in January. So, I'm less worried about Fall 2013.
Flag Wed Oct 3, 2012
Try and go to rentals. Or you can try Craigs List.
I've tried both sites. I've found more listings (mostly sublets) on Craigslist. I've also tried the Isthmus (The Daily Page) online.
Any other suggestions?
Flag Thu Oct 4, 2012
Rental vacancies are extremely low in Madison right now (below 3%). So, it's definitely beneficial to look early. Although many landlords including myself don't know if their tenants are staying or moving until 45-60 days prior to the end of their lease. The downtown student rentals can be a bit of a different process though. Where are you looking?
I am looking for places fairly close to MATC. I won't have a car, so anything within a walk (or 5-30 min bus ride) would be perfect.
Flag Wed Oct 3, 2012