Rental Basics in 89130>Question Details

Katiem, Renter in 89130

I was renting a home that was foreclosed on, it was auctioned. We were in the process of moving and my husband became sick so we did not return to

Asked by Katiem, 89130 Fri Jun 18, 2010

the home for about a week. When we did return, the house had been cleaned out. We still had a lot of stuff in the house and garage. When we contacted someone about it, they said that because there were no beds in the house it was considered abandoned. Is this correct? Is there anything we can do to get our stuff replaceg?

Answers

6
Katiem,

This is likely an issue best referred to an attorney for their input....A number of things come to mind...Did you have a lease agreement with the owner? Were you notified that you needed to vacate the property? Were the utilities in your name? Were you receiving mail? etc.

Our recommendation is to not accept the fact that the bank assumed you had moved from the property and offer evidence to that effect.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 18, 2010
Hi Katiem,

Nevada law states that a tenant's belongings must be stored for a minimum of 30 days for the tenant to come and collect them. However, there may be a few different laws regarding your situation due to the foreclosure.

Were you aware that the home was being foreclosed on? Typically the bank posts several notices on the front door of the home to warn the occupant of the foreclosure process. You would have received a Notice of Default several months back stating that the homeowner was in default of their mortgage. This should have thrown up a red flag to you knowing that the bank was going to end up possibly foreclosing. They also post a Trustee Sale Notice to the door as well a few weeks prior to the foreclosure auction.

You are welcome to email me your address and I will pull it up and see if I can find who took the property over for you. This way you may be able to contact them about your belongings. I am always willing to help someone if I can.

Len McGuirk, Realtor
Prudential Americana Group
(702) 203-6688
LenM@AmericanaGrp.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 18, 2010
It sounds like they want money for the missing stuff. Once the house goes to auction, the whole ownership thing gets murky. I would file a stolen prtoperty report with the police department, and then contact the old and new owners.

David Cooper Las Vegas Real Estate Foreclosure Houses for Investors
Public Law regarding Homes getting Foreclosed on and Tenant occupied. The bank has to give 90 days notice to Tenants from the day of foreclosure/trustee sale......period. All the letters regarding notice of Trustee Sale from the bank are null and nothing. The only way the bank can evict Tenant is if Tenant does not pay rent.

Katiem, go after them.....

Edgar Theisen, REALTOR®, ABR®, GRI
Century21 Aadvantage Gold
614 N. Rainbow Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89107
Fax: 702-214-1404
E-mail: etsellsvegas@aol.com
Web: http://EdgarTheisen.las.mlxchange.com
Hi Katiem, you have good advice so far, but the least expensive and quickest option would be check with the courthouse fast to see who purchased the property, contact them to get permission to remove the rest of your personal possessions. Regards, Jim Ryan, HSOA, 703 591 5626 ext 419.
WHo says realtors aren't worth it? Good answers.