Mwiley, Renter in Palmyra, IA

I've rented for four years through a PA property management agency. The lease states that "carpet will be professionally shampooed"

Asked by Mwiley, Palmyra, IA Fri May 27, 2011

before tenant moves into property." It was painfully obvious that everything in the house was filthy (it's an 160-year old farmhouse that has been let go), so I asked the realty company if we could have the keys so I could clean the carpets before we moved in. They said yes. NOT "no, they were done." The water was black and filthy when I was done cleaning, and it smelled like urine. NOW they're telling me I have to have six rooms of carpeting professionally shampooed and produce an invoice, something which was never done for me. They're also claiming that the carpeting was new, which anyone can see was never the case. With this latest development, I'm worried my security deposit will disappear.
They also worded the notice to vacate a little ambiguously so that when I gave 30 days notice (as I thought I had to do), they told me I had to give 60 and if they didn't rent the house out for June I was still liable. However, since I'm out, they want the keys back May 31.

Answers

4
First thing to check is you lease. Look for the phrase like this. Pennsylvannia Plan Langage Conforming Lease. All residential eases not created by a government agency must have follow a strict wording and rules of plain open speach. If this lease does not conform and your statement leads me to think it does not. I recommend contacting a local real estate attorney to handle this for you. It could save you thousands.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 28, 2011
Mwiley,
First, read over the PA Landlord Tenant law and understand your rights and obligations. The best practice for landlords and tenants is to complete a move-in/move-out walk though and include paperwork noting the condition of the home at both times. With the advent of digital cameras & video it's not a bad idea to document any damages before and after this way too.
In your current situation, if the lease you signed indicates you must clean the carpets, you are probably obligated to clean them. You can argue that you never received this benefit and you cleaned the home completely yourself, but this was your choice at the time.
As far as your notice is concerned, consult your lease and the landlord tenant act. The Landlord Tenant act will likely override your lease if there is a conflict.
Oh play the same game, if the carpet was new, please produce a copy of the receipt for it, also show me the proof in receipt form for the last cleaning done to the carpet before you moved in, these should be on file for 7 years, right!. You tell them that they made statements of the carpet being new when you moved in, tell them any attempt to abscond with you deposit will be met with a lawsuit, and a demand for you to show proof of the carpets age! Be prepared to have an Attorney consult with you on this if it goes beyond the threat!
Your best bet; Better Business Bureau!
I hope you've documented everything.
Did a friend help you, a witness?