Lisa Hendric…, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

I've live in my townhome for 15 years and am wanting to rent it out... I know there are things I need to do to update the place, but my question

Asked by Lisa Hendrickson, San Diego, CA Wed Oct 10, 2012

is... The community is going through external issues with termites and possibly mold.... during this renovation can I still rent out my townhome??

Answers

3
Dear Lisa,
Mold (externally) and termites are the responsibility of the HOA association and should be taken care of by them. I don't think this effects your tenant, however, you must disclose these issues to them so they are aware. Some people are allergic to mold, so it would be an important thing to make any potential tenant aware of.
Yes an updated property will likely fetch a higher rent but make sure whatever you do is easy maintainence for you. Once a tenant moves out there is always deep cleaning that has to be done and often carpets have to be replaced etc. This is something you have to anticipate when renting. I would also advise you to read (study) the california Tenant and Landlord Laws available online http://@www.dca.ca.gov
Yes, you can rent it out during this time. Be sure to disclose everything you know about the association's plans for upgrading the complex to your prospective tenants.

And regards to the inside of your unit, fix things that are broken. Save the remodeling for later. And consider using a property manager to deal with tenant issues and the lease terms. They can help out tremendously.

I would not put too much money into a rental first of all. Second I would disclose about the renovation and see if you can still find someone to rent it out. Maybe offer lower rent during those months for the inconvenience.