Rental Basics in Dallas>Question Details

dorianse25, Home Buyer in Carrollton, TX

I've finally found a home and moving out of apartments. 60-day notice required for month-to-month tenants?!

Asked by dorianse25, Carrollton, TX Sat Jan 5, 2013

I have been out of lease for over year now. I go to give 30-day notice, but they say they require 60. I remind them I'm not in a lease. They say "it doesn't matter". "Lease agreement requires 60". I say "Thats WHY I wasn't in a lease". I doesn't make since that I've paid a month-to-month fee for so long only to have same requirements. (I've been to court with them 2 times before for their mistakes. Hidden Oaks, 9236 Church Road, Dallas, TX 75231)

Answers

5
Dixon Wong’s answer
Hi Dorian,

I agreed with Kim. You just have to go back to the lease and read under the termination clause.

60 days are very common these days. So I wont be surprised that is whats written.

Dixon
JP and Associate
http://www.findyourtexashome.com
While we all want to be able to rely on what we are told verbally, at the end of the day, I tell my clients who are looking to buy a home to always refer to the original lease.

I know how frustrating it can be, since you've very likely been paying a premium amount while going month to month.
You need to review your original lease agreement, which should have a clause in it that states what happens when a tenant goes on a month to month basis. 60 days is common, so it would not surprise me to find that the clause states that. Read your lease agreement - what you need to know is in there.
Even if you have finished up your lease and are on a month to month basis, they will generally go off what it says in the lease contract. The 60 day notice gives them time to find a new tenant to lease the unit. All apartments have different notice # of days, but 60 days is pretty standard. Just be aware that they might report it to the credit agencies if you don't pay for all 60 days and it show up as a property debt.

Stacy Baker
The lease will state the terms, even the terms on a month to month lease.

Kenny
Turtle Creek Realty