Rental Basics in 77845>Question Details

Lej28149, Renter in College Station, TX

I signed a sub-lease last week, the current tenant's deposit stayed, I now am unable to move in. We signed everything but the pet deposit

Asked by Lej28149, College Station, TX Wed Dec 29, 2010

agreement.

Answers

4
This depends sub leasing rules are different with each company. Some companies make the original lease holder stay on the contract and they would just add your name the sub-leaser on as well. If that is the case than the original lease holder would still be liable and responsible for paying the rent if you failed to do so. That is if this contract is one lease and not leased by bedroom. This is not very common and for renters not the best way to do things but some companies do handle sub-leases like this.
However if the company was able to sign the origianl tenant off the lease and sign you onto a completley new lease than you are now responsible for the rent as it is a legal binding contract.
I would talk to the managment company and the previous lease holder to try and work something out!
My guess is you are still obligated to the lease if that is what you are asking.
It's a contract. Both parties are normally obligated to perform and there are remedies or penalties for non-performance. You will need to read the contract to determine what the consequences are.
The best thing to do is discuss with your landlord and determine what the best course of action is for both parties.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Unconfirmed on how to assist you I don't know reason(s) why you can't take possession of the property.

However unless you have contract with the property owner you may not have any rights ONLY the property owner can approve you as an resident of the rental.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Not sure what your question is, unclear...did you change your mind, or is the current tenant not letting in......you may wish to ask your question again and be a little more specific.