Rental Basics in Shoreline>Question Details

Cander, Other/Just Looking in Shoreline, WA

I rented my deceased Father's house to a friend w/o a contract. House is trashed, what can I do?

Asked by Cander, Shoreline, WA Sun Aug 23, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


This is one of the biggest problems when dealing with rental property.......those individuals that have a differnt life style or value system can leave a trail of destruction at the expense of the owner.

At this point it is easily seen why it is so important to collect a healthy "damage deposit" and do a background check prior to commiting to renters.

At this point, we would agree with the others that have recommended contacting an attorney. If there were outright acts of vandalism, you might want to consider contacting the police as well.

Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 25, 2009
Do you own the house? Is it still in probate? Did your friend move out already? Are you trying to get them out or just get compensated for the damage they did to the house? If you are trying to get them out, be very careful that you don't violate their rights. If they are already out and you are trying to get reimbursed for damage, get an idea of how much damage you can honestly say was their fault - then you can decide if it's worth hiring an attorney and going after them or not. Might be better to just cut your losses, fix the house, avoid litigation and move on.

Here is a link from the Washington State Bar Association regarding landlord / tenant law in Washington State that you might find useful.…

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 23, 2009

Ditto, check with real estate attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 23, 2009
check with a real estate attorney
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 23, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer