Rental Basics in Daly City>Question Details

Anna, Renter in Daly City, CA

I rented an in-law unit in Daly City & part of the contract incls. water, garbage, sewer & PGE; the owner forgot to pay the water bill &

Asked by Anna, Daly City, CA Wed Mar 16, 2011

now no water. is that a breach of contract? Can I get out of it?

Help the community by answering this question:


It may be but you would need a legal opiniion in contract law for your state. you can usually pay it and then deduct it from the rent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 10, 2013
Water is a health issue. I do not believe the city will allow water to be off and people living in the house. I may ne wrong here, but bo matter though.... If you have a contract that says the landlord is to pay the water, and now the water is not being paid, you may be able to pay the water bill, get a receipt and deduct your payment for the water bill from the monthly rent. First, before doing that, I would contact the owner or person with whom you have the rental contract and let them know there is no water.The (no water) situation makes the place (IMHO) uninhabitable and that you may be able to with hold rent, due to the place being uninhabitable. Is the landlord doing a constructive eviction? Keep good records and make copies of everything so you have good records. Read your contract. Scott Burry - real estate broker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 10, 2013
I believe you may have recourse but we are not lawyers so I can not give you any legal advice. It's clear the contract was breached.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 16, 2011
Usually you can get the water bill in your name and deduct it from the monthly rent you pay.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 16, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer