Rental Basics in 76705>Question Details

Latina35, Other/Just Looking in Waco, TX

I rented a house from a lady and signed a lease agreement and everythin. I was only there a little over a

Asked by Latina35, Waco, TX Wed Aug 5, 2009

month and the living room caught on fire due to a wire shortage in the roof. I don't have a copy of my lease because it got damaged in the fire. The house has not yet been repaired and she informed me that i would have to pay a remittance fee to get out of my lease with her. Can she do that? I didn't intentionally break my lease.

Help the community by answering this question:


Health and Safety
Landlords are required to rent units at a standard described by the Texas State Attorney General as "a fit place to live." If some aspect of the property, through no fault of the tenant, fails to be maintained to that general standard, the tenant may demand repairs of any condition that materially affects his health and safety. The law provides that a tenant can go to justice court, overseen by justices of the peace, without an attorney to seek court action for repairs costing under $10,000. Penalties are imposed on the landlord for not making necessary repairs. Penalties are imposed on the tenant for failing to pay rent because of needed repairs or for deducting the cost of repairs from the rent.

Read more: Texas Property Rental Rights |…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 25, 2012
You are governed by lease agreement. Request for you Realtor supply you with copy explain your rights. No one can render an opinion till terms are reviewed.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter:
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 6, 2009
Get her to provide a copy of the lease.
If the house is unlivable, I would think it would be tough to force you to pay rent.
Unless for some reason the short was your fault, with overloaded circuits.
See if Baylor has a free law clinic that could help you for free.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 5, 2009
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
The wise thing to do is to contact a attorney...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 5, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer