Rental Basics in 34476>Question Details

Veronica, Home Buyer in Jacksonville, FL

I rent a home in Florida. The refrigerator and freezer stopped working. Is the landlord required to fix it and how long legally do they have to?

Asked by Veronica, Jacksonville, FL Mon Dec 6, 2010

We were out of town this weekend and come home to a broken refrigerator. All the contents had to be thrown away. I cannot find any detailed information on the internet regarding this matter. I'm pretty sure they have to fix it but how long do they have to legally do this? What can I do if it's not done? Thank you

Answers

8
Don't worry about what's on the Internet. It's irrelevant.

What matters is what your lease says and what your local laws say.

It's likely that your lease says that your landlord will provide certain appliances (usually listed) in working condition. And it's likely that the lease says that the landlord is responsible for maintenance and repairs on them. If so, then that establishes that it's the landlord's responsibility.

However, the lease might not say that. It might make you responsible. Or it might say that you're required to pay the first $xx of any repairs. So, the answer really lies in your lease.

How long do they have to make the repairs? Maybe your lease specifies that, but more likely it doesn't. It would probably fall under the same provisions that require your landlord to provide you habitable furnishings. And perhaps your locality has some regulation regarding that. Otherwise, it may be vague. Common sense may come into play here. A week would be too long. Six hours might be unreasonably short. A day or two is perhaps in the realm of reason.

What can you do if it's not done? That depends on your lease. If the lease says it's the responsibility of the landlord and the landlord refuses to fix it, then you could argue that your home is no longer habitable and that the landlord has broken the lease. However, have a lawyer advise you on this, and what steps to take.

Realistically: Notify the landlord as soon as possible. And it's possible that your renter's insurance might cover the loss of the contents of the refrigerator.

I would first, contact your landlord and explain your situation. Next, I would just contact a refrigerator repair service to get going on the repair. More than likely, by the time they get around to the repair, you will have heard back from your landlord.
http://www.jensenappliance.com/service.html
Flag Mon Oct 13, 2014
I think it depends on the landlord and where you are living. I would contact your landlord and see what they say. They should be able to help you more than anyone else. Good luck! http://www.appliancerepairspokane.com
Flag Tue Sep 23, 2014
The landlord should probably fix them both, and you can demand them to do it in a timely manner. I would recommend informing the landlord quickly, and if it isn't done in two weeks, demand for repairs. You as a renter should be able to demand things like that. http://www.betterhomesappliance.com
Flag Tue Jul 22, 2014
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
I suggest reviewing your lease that shows who maintains items on the home. This should state several home maintenance items that may arise throughout your lease term and who will maintain them.
I think you can put in a work order to the landlord, but I don't know how long. I would try and work it out with your landlord, because they should be ready to fix problems like this. I'm sure it will be an easy quick fix for the appliances. http://www.certifiedappliancelv.com/
Flag Tue Jan 20, 2015
Hi Veronica,

There should be a section in your lease that discusses maintenance/ repairs and you need to read that.
If there is a property management company that you pay your rent to .. then they are responsible for those repairs.
If you pay the landlord directly for the rent and you cannot find any repair info on your lease, then most likely the landlord has the duty to handle your repairs.
It sounds like he knows that it's the landlord's responsibility, but the landlord isn't doing any repair work. The problem with a broken fridge and freezer is that all the food inside is lost when the repair takes too long. I think the landlord should pay for the spoiled food as well as the necessary repair. | http://www.tomsrefrigeration.com.au
Flag Mon Jan 5, 2015
That is just terrible. You need to read your lease to see who maintains the appliances ... Are you renting through a property management company, or private owner ?
Stop searching the internet and pull out you lease. Only what is on this document is what is due to you. If you have no written lease then shame shame. If the appliance just stopped working because of age, I would call the management company and ask for a replacement. But if you signed a least that states they do not repkace worn appliances then you may have to buy your own
Check your rental contract and the Florida Landlord and Tenant laws at ://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html
Check yoru rental contract and the Florida Landlord and Tenant laws at ://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html
Review your lease agreement as the answer more than likely can be found in it--have you contacted your landlord and if so, what did he/she suggest--for any legal questions you may have, do consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate.
I don't think you need to talk to an attorney just yet, but looking at your lease is a good idea. Your landlord might not be contracted to provide you with a fridge or freezer. If that's the case, you might want to look into renting your own until your contract expires. http://www.goodhews.com.au
Flag Thu Mar 5, 2015