Rental Basics in 77019>Question Details

Help11, Other/Just Looking in 77019

I need to move out asap leasin a back guest house with no address meaning front house pays all bills and hands us our Bills.. can i quit my lease?

Asked by Help11, 77019 Wed Sep 30, 2009

The guest house we live in with all the ammenities kitchen/bath ect.. it must be illegal or house not registered-now we moving. But, should that void my lease automatically or what should i do? just told landlord we movin out 2weeks before our current month ends-now she wants a letter stating all that has happen and keepin our deposit? is that fair? how can i break my lease ASAP? and get my deposit back?

Answers

2
Help11,

I suggest you google Tenants Rights Texas, http://www.oag.state.tx.us/concumers/tenants.shtml will give you the information you need.

Landlord/Tenant laws varies by state. So you need to check with local Texas laws to determine your tenant rights and responsibilities.

Generally, the tenants are required to provide the landlords at least 30 days written notice to vacate. So if you're are providing only 2 weeks notice, then yes, it is fair for the landlord to keep the deposit because she has to find another tenant quickly and/or she will have loss of income. You may get "some" not "all" of your deposit back because landlords are allow to charge reasonable cleaning fees to get the property ready for the next tenant.

Regarding a letter to explain "all that has happen"... not neccessary, why? for what? ... all a tenant has to do is to provide is a written notice to vacate...tenants don't have to provide a reason...it is a courtesy but not a requirement.