Rental Basics in New York>Question Details

Amie, Renter in 06067

I'm taking a job in NYC and don't know the city at all. I'm a single female early 30's & want something that's safe,

Asked by Amie, 06067 Mon Aug 13, 2012

with close transit, -2k I'm a believer in you get what you pay for, but I don't know what I can under $2k that meets my criteria. Would love some help

Answers

7
Kelly Killian’s answer
Well, it really depends on what you want. If you want a small 1 bed, you can do that in Manhattan, especially in the UES or the LES which tend to have the cheaper apartments. Now, if you are interested in the boroughs, I would suggest Astoria, Sunnyside and the historic district of Jackson heights where 2k or just over it will get you a 2 bedroom with a view of the city, and you are in manhattan in 15 minutes or less. It though will depend on where you work - Brooklyn if you are in lower Manhattan so you can get to Manhattan in 15 minutes or less - will get you more than Manhattan in size, but less than Queens!

NYC though has much more stringent requirements for rental than other states due to landlord tenant laws that favor the tenant. With that said, expect at minimum the landlords to require:
40xrent in annual income (that determines what you can rent)
2 years top two pages federal taxes plus W-2's
last 2 pay stubs (letter of employment if new job signed by both employer and employee)
Savings statement with significant savings
Employment verification letter
Landlord letter indicating when move in, payment habits and if you were a good employee

I hope that helps,
Kelly Killian
Bond New York
954-675-9915
Dear Kelly,
Thank you for all of this insightful info. I will probably lean to a small 1 bedroom in the UES. It seems to have a neighborhood feel with a lot of amenities close. Ultimately, it seems that I will have to figure out the $'s as I didn't know about this 40xrent requirement. I will also reach out to my new employer to see if they can help at all.

Amie
Flag Mon Aug 13, 2012
I would like to work with you, please note the safty of a neighborhood is very subjective, it all depends on how you feel in the area after checking it out during different times of the day. My number is 917-608-9349
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 14, 2012
I totally agree! That's a great suggestion. I would also recommend checking out Trulia's Crime Maps so that you can see which neighborhoods are notoriously more dangerous: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/New_York-New_York/crime/
Flag Wed Aug 15, 2012
Certainly can help - we have hundreds of new listings in daily for Midtown, Lower East Side, Greenwich village, The Upper East Side, Upper West Side and within your price range. You can reach me at
(732) 710-7312

Take care,
Irina
Hello Amie,
First let me apologize for the delayed reply. I would love to work with you you can reach me at 305-423-5081 call or text its always on me.
I have some studios in your budget for you to look at. When will you be in town?
I have some nice properties that are close to transportation. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. I would be happy to assist you. Thank you, welcome to NYC and good luck!
Hi. I have a large studio in the E50s which is half a block away from all transportation to East or West sides. 1700 with laundry an elevator. Feel free to give me a call.

Jim
Agent
Susan J Conaway LREB
201-575-2440
Hi Amie,

First off when are you moving here? The market here in New York is very different from any other place you might have experienced. If you have some time please feel free to email or call me and we can discuss what you are looking for and where in the city you might be able to find it!

Annette

Annette Holmgren
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
BOND New York
1500 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10075
P 212-584-4220
C 401-837-9445
F 212-584-4221