Rental Basics in Valdosta>Question Details

hippyninja, Renter in Valdosta, GA

I'm relocating to Valdosta in April. Already started eyeing rental homes, but it seems too soon. How far out is it logical to start a serious hunt?

Asked by hippyninja, Valdosta, GA Tue Sep 18, 2012

It'll be myself and my husband, plus a cat and medium sized dog, so obviously pet friendly is a must. We'd like a 2 bedroom place with washer/dryer hookups, hoping to get something for under $700/mo, close to VSU if possible, and with a bit of yard would be great.

Answers

3
Hello! Congratulations on your decision to relocate to Valdosta. It may be aittle premature but Because you have pets, this makes your search a little more difficult , plus you would like to be in a good location near VSU. This is a high demand area so I think it's fine that you are scouting now for properties that may fit your needs with leases that may be expiring after the first of the year. Coldwell Banker is associated with VALDOSTA PROPERTIES LLC..The largest property management company in town. Even though I am in the sale side of things, Feel free to contact me at 2292518169 and I will assist you in your search. It's not uncommon for sellers to sometime decide to lease their properties. "See you in the neighborhoods!". Vicky Knowles, Coldwell Banker Premier Real Estate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 18, 2012
Well I dont think its ever to soon just to start checking things out figuring out the exact area you are gonna want to live in. 3months prior to you should have a place secured for yourself
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 18, 2012
The required 30-day notice is usually about all the notice a management company will get from tenants. It would also be rare, if it happens at all, for a management company to agree to hold a vacant house for more than a couple of weeks, if that, without collecting rent.

So, yes, it's far too soon to start seriously searching for a specific house. You can, however, start arming yourselve with information that'll keep you from tying yourself to a one-year lease for a house you might not have rented, if you'd been armed with a little more knowledge.

Looking at pretty pictures of what's available doesn't tell you much about the location nor the neighborhood. If you're moving here to work and don't know anybody, try to make friends with a future co-worker -- or your new supervisor, if that's possible -- who'll add local knowledge to the info a management company like mine sends you.

You might also ask several management companies for a copy of their policy on pets. Not every owner of every house we manage will allow pets, (altho I recommend it and most do), but when you get down to looking at specific houses next Spring, it's good to know what rules you and Fido will be expected to follow.

If you want to contact me outside of this forum with more questions or more specific info, don't hesitate to do so. mike@mikehillrealestate.com