Rental Basics in 12801>Question Details

Diane, Home Owner in Tampa, FL

I'm putting my house up for rent and I'm nervous about the screening of tenants and the fact that the house has some older attributes.

Asked by Diane, Tampa, FL Sat Oct 22, 2011

I'm very nervous about putting my house up for rent.I just got my first phone call from someone interested in renting.I've residiential applications I printed off online.The house is in good condition.It does have older mechanicals and the windows don't work that well.
What advice can you give me as a first time landlord? Any information you can give me would be great.

Answers

8
Well after we listed with the agent we have now we wished we did list with someone locally.He is local.Just around 30 miles away.
We do have a contract with him till February,2012.But we want to get the house rented right now.We could ask our present agent to list for us.
How much will he charge? Is it 10% of the rental rate?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 22, 2011
Have you considered listing the property with any local agent....
We did have a home inspection done a few years ago.Everything checked out and we just had minor cosmetic changes to do in the house.
Everything the Inspector had on his list we had taken care of.Nothing major.And we also had a Lead Inspection done less than a year ago and he found no lead.We have the report.
And also we tested for Radon and it was clear.
We also want to run a credit check.I've heard it's a good idea.
Hmmm. Hiring a home inspector, as if you were a first-time buyer, would help you sort out the things that need immediate attention from the things that can be put on a wait list.

I want my tenants to carry renters insurance at full liability levels, so that if they have a party and a guest slips, their insurance will cover it. I like to do credit checks, and I would check to see what local regulations affect you. You will have to provide them with a lead-based paint disclosure, for example.

Gail we do have a realtor that we listed the house with but he is out of town and I'm not sure he could be that effective screening and renting the place for us.
He has done very minimal to sell the place.I don't see him putting himself out to really get the house rented to suitable tenants.Can we have one realtor selling the house and another handling the rental part of it? Is that totally unheard of?
Debbie
Actually my mom owns the house and she has owned it for 56 years.Were asking $1.075 a month.
The best advise I can give you is to list it with a Realtor who will do all of the preliminary investigations, including but not limited to Credit Reports, checking references and past landlords, getting employment payslips, and most important....the tenant will pay the commission.

You will then have final interview to determine if you are comfortable that this is the correct tenant for you and your property.
How long have you owned it, and what are you asking for rent, Debbie?