Katie Robins…, Renter in New York, NY

I'm finding a lot of properties in my budget range to be within Bedford - Stuyvesant, hows the area for safety and public transportation?

Asked by Katie Robinson, New York, NY Wed Nov 14, 2012

David Mcnerney’s answer
Hi Katie,

I've lived in Bed-Stuy off and on over the past 10 years.

I'll be frank: people still get assaulted in New York, and distressed communities increases your risk. Just recently I encountered a young lady who was mugged in the East Village, an area that most agents would claim had been mostly gentrified.

Bed-Stuy is interesting in that the feel of the neighborhoods change block by block. The street I most recently lived on had 3rd generation home owners living on it, and we felt a sense of community. This is the good part about budget neighborhoods: often the families there have roots.

I would not try to generalize sprawling areas like Bed-Stuy or Bushwick, but rather find specific properties that interest you and then qualify those locations by visiting them. Get a feel for the community and the path you would take to public transportation. Talk to the local residents.

Another story: a fellow agent was recently mugged in Bushwick stepping out of a cab. It's NYC, it happens. All you can do is lower your risk, and this comes from increasing your 1st hand knowledge. Speak to the people who live on the actual block you are interested in and you'll be fine.

My neighbors actually complained to me about the "new folk" who don't interact with the families who've lived there for years. Once you've made friends and introduced yourself to the community, the community will look out for you. Maybe even feed you too :)

Feel free to contact me if you'd like any further advice!
Hi Katie, My name is Lior and I have been working in the Bedfordstuvsant and Bushwick areas of Brooklyn for the past 20 years. I can tell you that they have both have changed dramaticlly for the better especially within last two years. Transportation is not an issue most of the subway stations are within walking distance and the commute into NYC is very quick usally between 15-20 mins.
I hope this helps you. Good Luck Lior if you have any other question please feel free to contact me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2012
I've lived in Bed-Stuy since 2007 and found the neighborhood to be extremely safe, friendly, and convenient. However, just like any neighborhood in NYC, it can depend on what block you live on.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2012
I relocated to Bedford Stuyvesant several years ago. I have never had an unpleasant experience and I find the area to be quite friendly and community-oriented. So much so that I started a real estate agency Bedstuy Brownstone Realty. I can be reached at 718 208 5905. I am a local resident and a female. Perhaps I can help you to decide if BedStuy is good for you. If not, we can discuss other areas that are also in your price range. Good luck.

Veronica Gonzalez J.D.
Bedstuy Brownstone Realty
The area has come a long way in the past few decades. I was born & raised in Brooklyn. Specifically, whats now considered as Clinton Hill but was then known as Bed-Stuy. Upon moving on my own, as you experienced, whats in my budget range was spaces in the heart of Bedford Stuyvesant. In the late 90's , earlier 2000's I wouldnt have fathomed living in the area in which I now reside amicably. I'm In the vicinity of Putnam & Throop. I've lived here for two summers now, & previously on Monroe & Classon for another year & a half. I find that stigmatized neighborhoods aren't as bad as one makes them out to be, so i'll be a little less reticent going forward in future searches.

Most places in Bed Stuy are serviced by a plethora of buses an either the A, C, G or J/M/Z lines with swift access into the city.

To surmise my point, Brooklyn has had a major renaissance as of late & I don't find crime to be as prevalent and neighborhoods as threatening as when I grew up within them. Check out other affordable nabes such as Bushwick & Sunset Park as alternatives

I'd be happy to answer any other questions, I hope the insight was helpful
great...everything is within 5 minutes...light rail, buss', the path, taxis
Hi Katie,

Problems and questions like yours are common among people looking in areas that they are not familiar with, particularly when dealing with more "up-and-coming" areas. What you need is to talk to a local to give you specific information.

I'm from NextLanding.com and I think we can help you. We connect searchers with locals, not brokers, who facilitate your apartment search and can answer your questions. You can search at NextLanding.com and if you don't like the results you get a full refund. Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you find a great place to live!

I don't understand, what is it about the flight to Bedford Stuyvesant; please educate me. If anyone visits the NYPD website-- crime statistics, the answer is right there. Crime, safety issues, and transportation and other concerns are everywhere; Unfortunately all are not reported.

I do not understand why a person would like to relocate to an area where they feel afraid, along with jumping and flinching upon every step I have seen this strange behavior {afraid to walk the streets} so frequently in B~Stuy, that I actually questioned the sleeping patterns of the family. I mean really, how can one rest and enjoy in an area where they feel afraid?

I think you should visit any area when you plan to relocate. Perhaps staying in a local hotel for about one to three weeks and tour the area at random hours. Think of it like a not knowing a man until u live with him; You can ask all the questions and date date date and all will be okay. Once you move in, different story. When I attempted to relocate to Oneonta, N.Y., i stayed in hotel for a week. As I toured the various areas, it was more than presented to me that i was not welcomed. This short visit saved me a wealth of time, trouble and money.

All the best Katie!!!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Dear Katie:

As I stated in my answer to your other question...

You need to investigate the areas in person. Go in the daytime, nighttime and even later at night (10-11PM or maybe even 2AM). Talk to people in the neighborhood and even small business owners in the area. Go to the local police precinct and find out the crime statistics. You can Google "crime statistics" with a zip code or neighborhood and see what comes up.

I would also add that the place where you have the most friends and know the most people would probably be the best place for you safety-wise!

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know, good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com