Rental Basics in 02116>Question Details

Sheila Leves…, Home Buyer in New Bedford, MA

I'm disabled and cannot use stairs, other floors have access to 2 elevators but not mine. Is legal?

Asked by Sheila Levesque, New Bedford, MA Sat Jul 13, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


I would contact a local legal professional to help with this answer and to save time and money.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 15, 2013
What did your attorney answer to this question?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 22, 2015
I would contact an Attorney and also check with the Americans with Disabilites Act.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 22, 2015

Your best bet is to contact an attorney to answer your legal question.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 3, 2013
Which floor you live on changes things a bit.

How were you able to move in if you cannot use stairs and live on a garden level or floor 2+?

If you live on the first floor, what do you need with the elevator?

Either way, consult an attorney if you feel that some reasonable questions need to be answered.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 15, 2013
Well there's a few questions that would need answering first to properly answer your question.
1. Are you renting or buying?
2. We're you similarly disabled at the time you first took occupancy or looked at the unit?

Whether you're renting or buying makes a difference. If you're renting and we're not disabled at the time you first viewed or took occupancy then the landlord might have to make accommodations to move you to one of the units of like type when they come available. If you were disabled at the time you took occupancy and a significant time has lapsed without you bringing the condition to the attention of the landlord then you may run into problems. If you own or are considering buying then the expense to modify the property could rest solely with you. I cannot answer a legal question, only an attorney in this state can do that.

There are alot of resources available to lend assistance to disabled individuals to make living at home possible. It may be time to seek out civic organizations, a house of worship you participate in, your doctor and healthcare system, local government groups etc. to see what if any solutions can be worked out. Approach the problem diplomatically, it could take some time. I have seen amazing works done to help those in need.

Good luck and let us know how you're making out
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 13, 2013
I guess it depends on your disability and if you are on the ground floor? Without more information it is hard to say.
Good Luck
Please feel free to contact me if I can Help
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 13, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer