Rental Basics in Seattle>Question Details

Vybhav Banga…, Renter in North Carolina

I'm Vybhav frm India. pls let me know the procedures for renting a house/apt in Seattle, documents required & the cost details.

Asked by Vybhav Bangalore India, North Carolina Mon May 28, 2012

Ravi’s answer
Depends on which place you are coming for work in Seattle.
Seattle neighbourhood is expensive, if your work place is in Seattle, generally people stay in nearby neighbourhoods and commute daily .
If you are looking for indian community then you might find some in Renton, Redmond and Bellevue.
Hope this helps.
Rents vary based on place. You need to be careful about neighbourhood you choose just to make sure its near to all regular groceriestores and transportation needs. is a good place to start exploring to get an idea on rents.
Getting a rental is pretty simple for IT/working people relocating from India. Rental price varies depending on what you want(bedrooms, bathrooms, flat/house, size, location). To get a rental most places will require a deposit, first month rent, and last month rent. They will require you to show employment documentation.

Good place to start looking is:

2. Goto the housing section and click on apt/housing
3. Search criteria Redmond or microsoft.

I recommend not starting the process from India. Come here and check out some places just so you can make a good decision.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 28, 2012
First thing, a credit application will be taken for a small fee of $25-40 per person. It will ask for your work history, rent history, social security number if you have one and annual income. It will also check your background for any felony record.
If you just moved here, you will need to provide a letter proving you have been hired by a company and your start date.
If all that passes, most landlords or leasing companies for apartments ask for 1st, last month's rent and a deposit with some of that non-refundable.
What month do you plan on moving out to Seattle?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 28, 2012
I'm actually plannig to come over to the US in 2014 & have a choice of either moving to Seattle or Buffalo. reason why i had this query is bcoz i need to have some cash seperately for this purpose. It would be really helpful & grateful if you can pls let me know whats the deposit, 1st month's rent & last month's rent approximately if i get to choose an aptt. with 2BR, 1BA, Allowance for pets, dishwasher, AC, washing machine & dryer.
Flag Tue May 29, 2012