Rental Basics in 33160>Question Details

ELLA_KALININA, Home Owner in North Miami Beach, FL

I had an agreement w/my Realtor to rent my home furnished. At the end of the lease I find my Apt w/ no furniture. Realtor new about it....

Asked by ELLA_KALININA, North Miami Beach, FL Sat Dec 14, 2013

When I returned back to the US for winter at the end of the lease, I found my place empty, w/ no furniture. The neighbors told me, that Tenant got rid of it. After my own investigation, I found out, that Realtor made a written statement on the piece of the escrow money receipt, that Tenant may remove the furniture, if he'd may need. Realtor and Tenant signed. I didn't sign. I never new about it. Realtor never informed me about it and never delivered to me a copy of that agreement. What a surprised to come back home and to see, no furniture and no my personal items. What RE Law this realtor violated, if he did?

Help the community by answering this question:


The prior advice to speak with a real estate attorney is definitely the first step. Make sure to bring any paerwork, emails, etc that you have in regards to this. Listing agreement, lease agreement, etc. Good luck with this.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 14, 2013
I am agreed with Gary: You may wish to consult a private attorney regarding these matters with all the papers relate to the case .Also, you can file a complaint against the Realtor to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. For more information:
Good luck
Flag Tue Dec 17, 2013
He /she violated your trust died not tell you about the tenants needs and signed without your concent . You can report the issue to the Florida real estate commission in Talahassee
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 14, 2013
You will have to contact a real estate attorney. This is beyond the ability of a real estate licenses to answer. I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you & wish you the best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 14, 2013
I'm sorry to hear of returning to unfortunate circumstance. There are so many variables here.... given benefit of doubt there was a misunderstanding between you and real estate agent, have you spoken with him concerning the furniture? Also, do either party have a copy of the listing agreement? This would be the best place to begin.

The Shambley Group
Decorus Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 14, 2013
Prior to talk to an attorney try to contact the realtor or better his broker. He will have to give you an explanation.

Jose Guzman
Bay International Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 21, 2013
Irina Karan provided excellent guidance.
I would add that you should FIRST assess the value of the lost properties. You will find it important in determining if small claims court is sufficient for your issue.
There should be an inventory list of the contents of the furnished condo. This will prove essential.
Reveiw the property management agreement you have in place with the real estate agent. How is home furnishing addressed and what is stated as the extent of the agent or brokers responsibility.
Now you have sufficient information to make a responsible decision.
I would think, as Irina suggested, that your stuff is stashed someplace safe. However, you should exercise great restraint before taking action that can not be retracted.
The LAW you ask about will be contained in the contracts you signed and applied via the interpretation of an attorney. We have no access to these documents therefore can not determine who, what, when, why or where regarding your situation.
We all, however, cringe, knowing you feel betrayed and need to be made whole.
I wish you the very best outcome.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 19, 2013
Hello Ella,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Before you file a police report, go to your insurance company, or hire a real estate attorney,
have you tried to recover your belongings (maybe they are stored somewhere and are waiting for you - like in a self-storage or storage bin in the condominium).

I suggest to first speak with your real estate agent and her/his broker.
They might have solutions to your problems - or alternative law suite on their hands...
I'd also get the info on what happened from the tenant - asking them where the furniture/personal belongings went. This won't cost you anything...

If your stuff is impossible to recover, file the police report, go to your insurance company and see a good real estate attorney. Hopefully, you have the pictures or videos that can proof what was in the apartment (your tenant was supposed to sign an inventory list also).

Best of luck!

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 19, 2013
OMG would I be p-offed. You need to speak to an attorney at this point to recover your furniture or its value. You really need to find out if your Realtor® said it was ok to remove the furniture if anyone put it in storage.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 15, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer