Rental Basics in 98221>Question Details

Rodney Edwar…, Renter in Anacortes, WA

I don't have the best credit due to hospital bills but I have an outstanding rent history. Will that hurt my chances of renting to own?

Asked by Rodney Edwards, Anacortes, WA Wed May 9, 2012

I have a good steady job, my wife graduates from nursing school in a couple weeks. We are a small family trying to better our lives. I have been renting for over 10 years now and have had no problems and recommendations from previous landlords.

Answers

3
You probably should meet with a trusted mortgage professional. It is possible that the medical collections and hospital bills can be circumvented in the loan process. With that, it may be possible to actually purchase a home, rather than a rent to own. Working with a good credit correction company can help, but often times, you can do everything yourself that a credit correction company can do and a lot cheaper with the right direction.
In this type of situation it will be up to the seller. Getting letters from your current and past landlords will help the situation. It also might not be a bad idea to meet with a trusted lender who specializes in credit repair situations.
Every homeowner and property manager addresses this with a case by case solution. Given your job and rental history, I think that would outweigh a negative credit report, especially when you could offer an explanation.