Rental Basics in Phoenix>Question Details

Cspy, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

I am renting my home, should I be taking pictures of the things that are wrong with the house so that I get my deposit back?

Asked by Cspy, Phoenix, AZ Tue Feb 8, 2011

Answers

10
Yes it is very important to take pictures when you move in. You want to fill out a sheet with everything wrong with the house, take pictures to document. When you finish you need to bring it to the land lord and have them acknowledge what you have put down. Have the land lord sign it so you can keep a copy for your records. If you are already living in the house I would talk to the land lord and document what is wrong and have them sign that they realize that the home was in that condition prior to you moving in. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://virtualtricity.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 8, 2011
If you just moved in, you should complete a move-in checklist and have the landlord/ owner/ property manager confirm. Taking pictures or video is an excellent idea for documentation purposes.
Web Reference: http://www.jameswehner.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 8, 2011
As everyone has stated Yes you should take pictures - but I would ask when did you move into the rental, because otherwise the pictures will not really mean anything unless you took them within the 1st 5 to 7 days of move in - there is no way to know if the problems where there before OR after you moved in meaning if the problems happen from you or not. Any time you are going to rent a place and you go with the agent to view it, 1st look at the place as a possible rental for your needs and THEN go back thru and look for any problems or things broken, and after moving in take pictures in the 1st 5 to 7 days after move in of anything that you fine wrong.
Besides the photos, call the landlord or property manager and ask them to come out and do a walk through with you within the first 5 days. Have then fill out the Move-in check list. and both of you sign and document the scope of the problems. Give them a copy of the photos and keep a copy for your files. If you need a standard Move-In form contact me.
I would take pictures and video ( if possible ) and submit them to the landlord or prop mgt firm asap so they have these on record now ( versus giving landlords these pictures a yr from now when negotiating deposit return
As it has been well noted; documentation is HUGE. If you are just moving into the rental home you will want to complete a move-in checklist that itemizes issues/concerns as well as supportive photos. If you have lived in the home for a while then it is a matter of having documentation that shows what items were or were not there prior to taking possession of the property.
Web Reference: http://www.ONEpropPHX.com
Yes, I would recommend doing a walk through prior to moving in the home. I would take pictures as well as put those items that need to be corrected in writing. Both you and your landlord should sign the walk through prior to you moving in. I would also take pictures of the home after you move out as well.
Absolutely! A picture is worth a 1000 words as they say! Document as much as you can! The more
you have to show the better. Being specific and measurable to date and time is also a good idea.
Documentation is ALWAYS a great idea. You should have done a walk through and check list with the leasing agent or landlord prior to your move in. If this did not take place, then it is in your best interest to take photos. Be sure to engage the date stamp on your camera and describe the damage in writing with the photograph. I would recommend making a copy for the landlord and keeping a copy for your records. Be sure to get the information to the landlord ASAP.
That's a great idea!

You will want to document those things that are in need of repair, damaged, not working, etc and share that with the landlord. Make sure it is in writing so there is a paper trail. Who knows, you can even ask the landlord to correct those items!

Like the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. Photographs do a great job in documenting the situation. Make sure you have a record of providing it in case you need to refer to that at a later date.
Web Reference: http://tomweiskopf.net