Brittany, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I am renting in San Franciso and I signed a one-year lease. Is it possible to cancel my contract/lease early?

Asked by Brittany, San Francisco, CA Mon Mar 9, 2009

If so, what are the ramifications? Is there a standard process to handle ending a lease early?

Answers

4
Brittany,

Lances numbers are correct and the advice of talking to the landlord is good. Just to add a suggstion. If rents are falling and the owner doesn't want you to kleave see if you can help him by finding a tenant for him. Next if you are not getting a favorable response see an attorney to have them review the document.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Brittany,

Hello. This is something you will want to broach with your current landlord. They may be agreeable to terminating the lease early and then again they may not. More than likely the landlord will want a reason for the early termination.

I hope this helps!

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Realtor
Brittany,

Technically speaking, when you sign a lease you are agreeing to pay for the entire combined amount for the year. For example, if your rent is $2000 per month and you sign a year lease you are agreeing to pay the landlord $24,000.

In a market where rentals are in high demand your landlord might be happy to have you leave early so they could jack up the rent, but that is not the current situation. I would suggest that you contact your landlord and let him/her know what you'd like to do, see if they will accept a replacement tenant or a sublet for the remainder and go from there.

Lance King/Managing Broker
415.722.5549 Cell
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
Hi Brittany, you should refer to your lease contract for details regarding a cancellation. Typically, if you wish to terminate a lease you can sometimes find a replacement tenant that is approved by the Landlord. If you just walk you can be sued for the balance of the lease if the landlord can't find someone else.

You should talk with your landlord about your plans, who knows, maybe they already have someone who has called that is looking for a place.

Best, Steve