Rental Basics in Daly City>Question Details

Anna, Renter in Daly City, CA

I am renting an in-law unit in Daly City. When I called comcast they said that the address does not have an in-law. Where can I see if this is legal.?

Asked by Anna, Daly City, CA Mon Feb 14, 2011

Before I signed the lease to this in-law I asked the owner if this place is quiet. After living here for two months, I can hear the people up stair. They are loud and inconsiderate. I complained and can't seem to get any peace. I wanted to know if it is an illegal unit, can I get myself out of the lease agreement without the owner keeping my deposits. And where can I find out if this house has an illegal or legal in-law. From what I can understand, the neighbors said that this in-law was built within the recent years.

Help the community by answering this question:


In addition to my answer earlier, the certificate of occupancy only is needed ONLY if your unit has a kitchen.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 15, 2011
Legal or not, if the owner is not upstairs (if it's another tenant), the legality is void in Daly City.

Go to Daly City City Hall (near the DMV), on the third floor - Economic Development department. Ask the person that helps you if your address has an extra "Certificate Of Occupancy." If not, your unit is illegal. Keep in mind if they find out about your in-law unit and it is illegal, they will come out to the address and have the owner DEMOLISH your unit.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 15, 2011
Well you can lease my house for $2000 a month with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths which is legal you can email me at
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 9, 2011
Hi Anna

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful.

landlord/tenant law:

tenant rights and protections
It also has a link to get legal assistance which might be a good source to get all your questions answered.

Best wishes
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 15, 2011
Hi Anna:

The lease agreement will likely be a separate issue in your state. If you have problems with others in the same building, I would suggest you talk to your landlord and see if this person can resolve the issue before you try to cause problems by reporting or complaining about a missing building permit.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 15, 2011
Hello Anna,

Write to your landlord and tell him what you told us. Also state that since the inlaw is not legal, you have a right to terminate the lease agreement. In your letter tell the landlord that you will go down to the City Planning Dept and find out for yourself if he is not willing to let you leave early with your deposit. If the unit was built many years ago, it could be what they call grandfathered in.

I'm sure your landlord doesn't want this problem.

Good luck.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 15, 2011
You can go to the city hall and ask for Planning and Development department. Ask for all the permits record of the address and you can see if there was a permit pulled to build this in-law unit. Did you have the owner stating the place is quiet in writing? The problem is, this is subjective...maybe the noise doesn't bother the owner. This cannot be a reason to get out of the lease agreemetn unfortunately. :(
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 15, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer