Rental Basics in 06405>Question Details

Michael Butl…, Other/Just Looking in 06405

I am probably going to have to move soon, my landlord lost his job and needs to sell . However in the past

Asked by Michael Butler, 06405 Mon Dec 29, 2008

few yrs i have gotten into credit card problems and the rising cost of gas at that time made it impossible to make even my minimum payments so I have just gone through a bankruptcy. I have never been late on my rent for the last 7 yrs and have a car payment that I am current on and I have been current with all my living expenses bills...Elec, phone...etc. Do you think anyone will rent to me???

Help the community by answering this question:


First of all, if you have a lease, you will not have to move. A new owner must honor any written lease you have. If you don't have one, then ask the currrent owner if he/she will sign one with you.
If you do have to move, ask the landlord if he/she will give you a letter of recommendation. If you were always on time with the rent, that shouldn't be a problem.
Sometimes bad things happen to good people. If a prospective landlord sees good payment history, that usually means more than the bankruptcy, but it is always a judgement call on their part.
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 29, 2008
If you do need to move I would also suggest (in addition to a letter from your landlord) when submitting your application include a Letter of Explanation regarding your credit report. If you can show that you are employed and are capable of making the monthly rental payments some landlords are understanding. Best of Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 7, 2011
Yes, I do. There are so many available rentals out there now and as long as you show a great rental payment history, someone will understand your situation. Just don't give up and best wishes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 29, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer