Rental Basics in Seattle>Question Details

Cristina Col…, Renter in Seattle, WA

I am moving to Seattle, WA this summer and I do not have time to visit any apartments. What should I do?

Asked by Cristina Collier, Seattle, WA Fri Apr 27, 2012

I am moving from FL and don't know much about the area.

Answers

9
Rob Armstrong’s answer
First, welcome to Seattle (in advance)! Is this work work related move, and will you be looking to live close to your job? What size/# bedrroms/amenities and other requirements do you have? These will all ahve an impact on the location and price of rentals you'd be most interested in. If we can be of assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Rob- Property Manager, RD House Property Management, Seattle
Web Reference: http://www.rd-house.com
Depends on your price range and how picky you are. I am a local Seattle Realtor who happens to be very down to earth. I say you find an Airbnb place for a week or two. These places are much more comfortable and easy going than a motel. Most hosts are happy to help you discover our wonderful city and the ins and out. If not, I am happy to, just look me up. We are a city of many different urban villages and each one has a different flavor. Even if your booking is too short before you move into your perfect home, you will be able to find another affordable location until you move to your new home. I know what I speak of as I have helped several others on their way. Best to start a move-in process usually around the first of the month. I'm here to help!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 27, 2012
Rent a room by the week at some place like Extended Stay. They will have a small fridge & a hot plate so you can do a little cooking. Find the closest one to where you work. Then look for a place to rent.when you get here.
Good luck, Jirius Isaac
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 27, 2012
I would rent a place possibly remotely until you can live here and get familiar with the different areas and what amenities they have to offer. We assist people lease or own so would be glad to coordinate you for either.
Web Reference: http://www.arronrenfrew.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 27, 2012
Newseattlites,
Do you have anyone you know and trust already living here? They could scout out some options, take pictures and provide some personal perspective to what the areas are like.
You could also put your stuff in storage for a week or two and stay somewhere temporarily until you sort out what you are looking for.
You will have a wide range of options depending on what you are looking for, from downtown active lifestyle places to quiet suburbs and everything in between. Expect our prices to be higher than you are probably paying in Florida.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I don't know a soul there yet. Only my future co-workers but that is not a burden I want to put on someone I would be working with. I am looking for a good area for young professionals.
Flag Fri Apr 27, 2012
There isn't much you can do from the other side of the country. Reserve a room in a value-priced hotel, or stay with friends or family for a week. If it's a work-related move, perhaps your company will assist you? Once in Seattle, you can explore the unique neighborhoods. You'll find a lot of variety in lifestyle and in housing choices. You can get a jump-start on the process by going on-line and searching for Seattle rentals. You'll also find blogs about Seattle neighborhoods here on Trulia, and other websites.

All good advice.

Seattle has its nuances, just like any place. However, you can make yourself crazy trying to parse the differences from afar.

I'm from New York, and I'm not at all "down to earth," but I imagine that you wouldn't do this without some financial resources. If that's the case, take a 1-year lease in professionally-managed, corporate-type apartment building in-city, and you should be fine.

If you have any other considerations, let us know.

NewSeattlite,
Where will you be working, Seattle proper or the suburbs? Did you want a house or apartment, amenities, easy transportaion or do you have a car? Are you coming alone or with someone else? You indicate you want to be with young professionals, there are several areas I could suggest based on additional information. Feel free to contact me at DanTabit@Northstone.net with some additional information and I'll suggest a few options for you. I'm a native here, so I'm familiar with the area.

I moved to Seattle from Orlando, FL back in 2009. I agree with the previous post about prices being higher!

I now run a property management company, based out of West Seattle, and would be happy to talk with you more if interested.

Ty

ty@caycegain.com

Cayce & Gain Property Management