Rental Basics in Columbus>Question Details

LTownsend, Renter in Memphis, TN

I am moving to Columbus within the next 6-8 weeks and I do not know anything about the area or where to begin with looking for a home, help?

Asked by LTownsend, Memphis, TN Fri Dec 14, 2012

I know that I would like to be in an affordable neighborhood with activities for my children or at least close to them and I really need to be in a good school area as my children are school age.

Answers

12
My husband and I are current residents and we are also looking to move .. I have been doing a lot of hands on research driving going into neighborhoods..
Right now we are leaning toward the Northside because what we actually want in a rental is out of our means although it is in a worn down neighborhood.
Price ranges 750 to 1500 fr a 4 bedroom, as long as it isnt near a college.
The house we want and would fit our family is right across from Columbus State so for sure 1500 off top.
We have found really good properties off of livingston avenue near Nationwide Childrens Hospital.
If you dont mind a little crime and keep to yourself that is okay .. there is a really good elementary school there. I suggest lottery for middle and high school. There is one really great middle school called Yorktown and there is also some really nice homes in that area. Going to run you 900 and up for good living, single family homes. but there are some ok homes and apartments in the area as well.
Also the far westside.. It is being revitalized .. because of the casino. there is a wonderful apartment complex FAMILY ORIENTED across from there.
Dont go south .. lol
Welcome to Columbus Ohio,here is my contact info,you can search areas,get school reports that will help you narrow down your needs at your own convenience 24/7 in the comfort of your home and when you are ready, I will be happy to assist you.

http://www.next-rightmove.com
Charmella Y Smith
614-332-9743.
cols school district is not the best. Its better to look at the school rating itself rather than the district. this site might be helpful...http://www.sellingcolumbus.com/Columbus_Ohio_Schools.asp
Hi! First off, let me say you are moving to a wonderful city!! Columbus and all its communities have so much to offer - something for everyone! In order to narrow things down, it is helpful to know about the area you are coming from - what do you like about where you are? What is most important to you and to your family? And also it is helpful to know what you are looking for in an area, drilling down for more specifics.....where will you be working? How close would you like to be? Do you want to use public transportation? What about your children - are there specifics for them? Sports? Music? Art? Lots of questions, I know! Columbus is a large city with areas both inside and outside of !270 It is a pretty easy city to navigate with an active downtown and wonderful suburban communities. We have a number of colleges and a strong economic base with one of our largest employers being The Ohio State University and also the state capital. We have a number of industries and business anchored here as well. This makes our housing market stronger than some and are experiencing a good recovery within our neighborhood housing markets. Inventory this summer actually became scarce and multiple offers on well-priced homes the norm. If you have not had the opportunity to do so, I would check out the following online - Experience Columbus, the Columbus Chamber of Commerce and my website at http://www.realliving.com/louisepotter. There are neighborhood links that will give you a host of information from demographics to local events. Hopefully this is a snapshot into Central Ohio....I am happy to help in any way I can to introduce you to our great city!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
I am so glad to see all the help offered, but I think I may be more interested in renting to start then purchase later can realtors help with that as well...
You can sign up for alerts on my website of the areas you would like to rent a home in,I will assist you understand the schools& areas.
My contact info is listed above.
Charmella.
Flag Fri Jan 11, 2013
Worthington has a good schools and Grove City has the worst. Try to stay away from the east side. Worthington, Dublin, and Westerville is your best bet.
Flag Sat Dec 29, 2012
Hi Ltownsend1284,

As you can see there are many realtors willing to help. We are a helpful lot!

Welcome!! We look forward to you and your family moving here and becoming part of the central Ohio community. Columbus and the metro areas have a lot to offer. There are so many communities to consider.

Will you be able to stay with friends or family while you are getting settled before you look for a home. This would help you in being able to put some eyeballs on different areas first before you decide on which home and area you want. Obviously I am limited in providing you with much in the way of information because I have no idea of your taste, price range in either renting or buying a home or other subjective intangibles which are all important in making a decision. I can suggest you can go to columbushomesforyou.kwrealty.com and look around.

I can list some desirable communities for you to consider: Older area/ upper price range- Bexley, Upper Arlington. Newer areas/upper price range- Dublin and other areas NW of the 270 outerbelt and New Albany.
Newer areas/ upper to middle price point, Gahanna, Westerville, Worthington, Hilliard. This is just a few but these areas have nice schools, parks and recreation.

I would like to make myself available to you and your family. If you would call I can ask you some questions to get an idea of what you might want and need and then send you listing directly for you to review and consider. The market is still very good though home prices are moving up.

Please call my cell at 614-288-0423 or my office at 614-944-5900.

Respectfully,
Jeffrey L Paeltz ABR, SFR
Keller Williams Greater Columbus
New Albany Ohio 43054
I suggest you get your hands on a Columbus Monthly Magazine. It gives you a good idea of what is going on in the City. Good Luck and welcome to Columbus you will love it here it is a great place to raise a family and many good school districts. I am an area realtor and service the entire Columbus area if you are looking to buy a new home or condo please feel free to email me I would love to help you. Martha Corbett, Sorrell and Company martha@sorrellandco.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
Hi! I am a Realtor out of Gahanna. I also am a resident. I absolutely love the area and would love to tell you a little about it! There are a lot of neighborhoods that have the New Albany/Gahanna feel yet are Columbus taxes. Feel free to give me a call at 614-528-1144 or email me at Rachel@ColumbusRealtyTeam.com. Good luck if I do not hear from you!
Here is a website that my team and I put together to help with the relocation to Central OH/ Columbus area http://www.centralohhomesunder200k.com/. We specialize in relocation real estate. We can send informational guide about the community,fun actives for families and children, and a rating list of all the schools in the area. We also have a Free Home Finders service that will start emailing, faxing, or mailing you homes based on the specific criteria that you set. For a free 1hr phone consultation with a licensed Coldwell Banker Agent call Me at 614-961-0169 ask for Roger.

For the free informational guide go to http://bit.ly/TZM2eF
Hello another good area to look at would be Lincoln village or Galloway both in Columbus west of 270. If you need more help you could email me at jadynsnon10@gmail.com or contact another agent working in Columbus area. Hope you have a wonderful time finding the right place. Happy Holidays!
I can help. What we need to consider is where throughout the Columbus market you would like to live. The city and the suburbs offer so many great options. When I relocated to Columbus, our family considered a community that was a short distance to my wife's new work place. We spoke with a lender to determine our price range and our life style. Do you like to play out doors, enjoy bike paths and rec centers? Things like this are what I mean about lifestyle. Let me know how else I can help- Arnold DeSena, ABR, CRS- Realtor with e-Merge Real Estate- 614-507-0322
Contact me at 614-507-5314 and I would be happy to help you!