Rental Basics in Santa Rosa>Question Details

Allanrkerr, Renter in Santa Rosa, CA

I am interested in a property I found on Trulia and a friend thinks it is a scam. How well do you screen owners/rentals to know if they are legit?

Asked by Allanrkerr, Santa Rosa, CA Tue Jul 30, 2013

I have found a property I like and have exchanged emails with the "owners" but a friend thinks that it is a scam because the owners are not local, they say they have relocated to a different state because of a job transfer. How should I proceed? Do you have a screening process so I don't get scammed?

Answers

11
The quickest and most simple step is to run a property profile online. This establishes who the actual owners are. If the people you are talking to are NOT the vested owners...run away as fast as you can! If they ARE, then you may want to proceed with caution.

I can run a property profile for you in less than 5 minutes. Please call me directly at (707) 583-8116 if you would like me to do so.

Tim C.
Think about it from another perspective. If you owned a home and left the state, would you just rent it without meeting tenants? How did they propose to show it to you? They would have rented it before they left most likely.
Hi Allan,

To answer your question. You really don't have to go through the hassle of doing that. Just leave it in a Professional Real Estate Agent to do it for you. Beside you don't have to pay us a commission to do so. The Seller will.

I agree with the answer if its too good to be true it probably is.
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
I would be more than happy to do a little research on the property for you. There are a lot of rental/lease scams going around and its imperative you dont send any money (deposits, etc.) to anyone until you've actually previewed the property with a licensed realtor.
Hi Allan

It is not Trulia's job to screen.

It is the Buyers and / or Renters.

Work with a local property management company.

Perry
Web Reference: http://ruthandperry.com
Contact me and I will walk you through a screening process to discover the truth. My immediate contact number is (707) 578-1008. Ron Barbieri - Premiere Property Services
Trulia doews not screen owners. It is merely a web portal. As wtih all things on the Internet, the duty to evaluate is yours.

Best of luck.
If you are representing yourself I would suggest you either ask for help from a
qualified Realtor in the area or hire a real estate attorney.
Best of luck,

Mike
Have the owners send the keys to local property management company to show you the house on your behalf. This way you have someone to cover your behind and limit your risk. Property Managers are licensed by the state, so they are regulated and are there to represent you. Don't send any money to the out of state owners, and if the deal sounds like a scam, walk away.

You can also look up the owners in the local Clerk of the Court or the property appraiser. Doing some simple online research will take 5-10 minutes and save you a lot of possible issues later.

Best of luck to you,
Liz