Kathryn, Renter in New York, NY

How soon should I start looking for an apartment to rent? I am looking at a October 1st lease start date for a long-term lease (6 months to a year).

Asked by Kathryn, New York, NY Tue Jul 19, 2011

I am relocating to Fort Lauderdale for work. I am planning a apartment hunting trip, but I'm not sure how soon ahead of October 1st I should schedule the trip. Any advice will be helpful! Thank you!

Answers

7
Depends on where you would like to rent.

1. If you are renting from an independent homeowner, you should start looking about 2-3 weeks in advance. These types of properties tend to go quickly, when you find something you like...lock it down quickly.
2. If you are looking to rent from a large condo complex, it could take up to 4 weeks for condo association approval.
3. If you are looking to rent from a large apt. complex, they tend to have apts available at all times...so when you are ready they we will be ready.

If you have other questions, please contact me and I would be happy to help with your search.
954-319-8575
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 19, 2011
Hello, Kathryn, Definitely plan a trip down in August. The rental market is heated up. You need some time to get your bearings for the area and comparison shop. If you contact me in advance, we can discuss your requirements and I can email some listing recommendations. I am sure you'll enjoy living in South Florida. We are one of the coolest areas in the country, as in, "temperature" right now, and "fun" always!

Barbara B. Ruge, Broker, Realtor
L'Amour Florida Realty
Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County
954-328-2165
b-realtor@att.net
I agree with Kevin, I believe he has selected good time-frames. In the past you would be better off coming down at least 2 months early, but not now. The rental market has heated up and good rentals do not stay on the market very long.

Tchaka Owen
Keller Williams Realty Professionals
954.552.6112
Kathryn, I would suggest to start looking 2 months ahead of time. Any property with an association has an approval process that would take about 2 weeks. Rentals are in the shortage right now because of the economy and people losing there homes in foreclosures. If you would like to contact me directly we can discuss areas that will be of interest to you.

Patricia Salerno
Galleria International Realty
945 E Las Olas Blvd.
Ft Lauderdale, FL

cell 954-292-1001
PatriciaRealEstate@yahoo.com
It wouldnt hurt to start looking now - at the least you can pinpoint areas of interest. Please feel fre to contact me If i can assist...

Thank You

Steve Kravitz
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Bankers Realty Services, Inc.
211 SW 2 Street #F
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
(954)302-8677 Direct & eFax (305)785-8588 Mobile

http://WWW.BANKERSFORECLOSURES.COM
Kathryn,

One and a half to 2 months is a good time to schedule your trip. If you are looking to rent in a condo community, there is usually an approval period, although the time can vary, you should give yourself enough time. If you start too early, you will be looking at rentals that are looking to rent before you will be ready.

I hope this was helpful!

Good luck...
Stefanie Cohen, PA, ABR,SFR
Prudential Florida Realty
Scohen77@aol.com
Mid August. Most associations require 30 day approval process. Please let me know if I can be of assistance. Have a great day! Ginger
Web Reference: http://selltheocean.com